Chapter 11: I Remember

Melanie

I was screwed. 100% officially screwed.

I didn't have friends, other than Ben, and he wasn't going to help me with this situation right now.

I mean really, it wasn't like he was a part time fairy godmother and could get me out of this mess.

The homecoming dance was TONIGHT at 7 and I didn't have a dress or anything.

Hello, girl problems.

It wasn't even like I had some awkward cousin who lived reasonably close by, or a sister who would be helpful in this situation, no. I didn't have a single girl that I talked to more than once a day in my phone contacts.

I also didn't really have any money. Well, correction, I had a good 30 bucks that would probably get me a shoe.

Just one.

I wasn't going to go to my mother begging for money, because then she would start feeling bad, and I would have to see her cry and put herself through the guilt and misery every parent has when they can't give their child something.

So at this wonderful time of 3:56 in the afternoon, I was marching into the mall, with a goal intended.

I would flirt my way to a bargain.

I've seen it done on TV before, so I guess it can't be that hard in real life right?

Yes.

I stepped right into a store with a shitload of dresses in the front windows, not even recognizing the name.

It's not like I shopped a lot. I used to, but now I didn't have the friends or the money to do it. I looked around for a male worker because let's be honest, the only woman that would give me a discount would be an old lady after I told her my sob story and begged a little too much.

And I don't feel like doing that today.

I roamed my way through the store, and didn't see anything I needed, or anyone to help me, so I ditched that store.

I picked up a really nice pair of high heels. LIke, four inch platform heels that were a beautiful blue color, and had little spikes on the front. I litterally grabbed them and put them on the counter demanding that the lady would let me buy them.

Now I only have $3.72, to buy a full dress.

Shopping Tip Number One: don't impulse buy.

Poor little Will, I guess he won't have a date.

I'm dead.

I moped my way to the food court, and saw the most delicious thing in the whole world.

It was seriously a beauty, the best thing I have ever seen. It was a hot, warm Annie's pretzel stand. I could smell the warm pretzels and taste the salt on my tongue. I swear I think I was drooling.

I ran. I actually ran and stopped right at the front of the mini-store, not even out of breath. I mean, it was like 20 feet. But I was still proud of myself. I was smiling and staring in awe at the beautiful pretzel in that plastic warming box. I heard someone clear their throat, and slowing fell out of my haze.

There was a guy in front of me, slouching lazily over the counter, smirking at me with his hands folded in front of me.

"Can I help you?" his husky voice was kind of welcoming.

"Yes, please," the words fell out of my mouth before I could think and I covered my mouth in total embarrassment, feeling a blush creep onto my face. I hear him laugh, but my eyes don't leave the ground. "Um, can I get a salted pretzel please?"