CHAPTER 10: The Morning After (Bake of Shame)

Well, that totally sucked.

Yesterday's Affair on the Square is over.

My friendship is also over.

Put a fork in me and call me done.

I pull the covers over my head as I lie in bed trying to forget what happened. Fortunately, most of it is a blur. I vaguely remember Nathan and Neil coming over to help me stand up when I was a heaping mess on the ground surrounded by smashed cupcakes and melting chocolate. Errol helped Roo wipe off her shoes and clothes, after making sure we were ok.

CaseyLynn walked away, while Noorah and Rayleen helped my parents clean the scene. Jake lifted the table upright again. I think Bartholomew also helped, and the crowd, which had quickly gone from laughing to gasping in horror as we fell, thinned out. My parents escorted me inside to clean up, although that is a blur, too.

Cupcake Carnage.

Block Party Pandemonium.

Breaking News: Girl loses best friend over boy next door followed by public dessert war.

I sink deeper into my bed to sleep the weekend away.

****

The next week isn't much better although I manage to get through classes. Still no word from Roo.

I tried to text her, "I'm sorry, Roo. Can we talk?" but no response.

Then, at what seemed like a really good idea at the time, but now seems absolutely ridiculous, I sent Roo a video clip of me apologizing while singing "I'll Be There for You," the theme song from the TV show Friends, one of her favorite 90's shows.

Still no response.

I really need to unwind at this point, maybe sit outside just to breathe some fresh air. Maybe I'll go for a walk later.

Nature has a way of making people feel better. I decide to sit in the front of the house. We have a little chair near the front door which is calling my name.

I take a seat, breathe deeply, and just look around at the flowers and grass. The sky is so blue right now. I can feel my muscles relax a little as I slowly breathe in and then exhale. A moment of quiet.

"Hey, Emma! Hey!"

The voice surprises me. I'm jarred out of my mental nature tour, and look to see Nick sprinting across the street, coming toward me.

Nick Rangioni?

He quickly arrives in my yard and walks over to me, stopping next to my chair. He's wearing a shirt.