CHAPTER 6: The Tents Again & Other Disasters

Tonight is very important.

Not like season-finale-of-Riverdale-important, or first-kiss-important, but important in the grand scheme of a week in a 14-year-old's life.

Fortunately, school was pretty easy this week in terms of workload. Being virtual has many downfalls but an occasional perk, too. Technically, I don't even have to wear pants.

But gross, who would do that? I'm ok with pajama pants, though.

Plus, Roo and I can chat digitally all day, even during class, and no one else knows, which is exciting.

Roo swears that Nick smiled at her when she saw him at the park on Wednesday.

He was walking, and she was pushing Baby Tina in her stroller. Nick and Roo were about 50 feet apart, but she really felt there was a connection.

I asked her if Nick waved hello. She said it was hard to tell.

Roo was just happy that Nick was finally wearing a shirt. She wants to know more about Nick than just his body, although we both agree it is amazing.

Now, Roo and I are in my backyard on this beautiful Friday evening building a huge tent for The Tents. Yes, we're going to try it again. And it's my turn to do the setup tonight.

Alanis Morissette ("You Oughta Know") is blaring through the speaker which seems to motivate us, and earlier Roo made macaroni and cheese for tonight.

"Something different than pizza," she explained.

"Mac & cheese is Errol's favorite!" I randomly shared.

"Well, isn't it really everyone's favorite?" Roo asked.

Hard to argue this valid point.

I step back from the tent after zipping the front closed from the outside. "Ta-da! I think we're done!"

It looks incredible.
We high five.

"Nice work Team Emma-Roo!" she says. "Should we head to the Rangioni's?"

Tonight's tent rotation is: Rangionis, Fowlers, Smiths, Ellerbees. Turns out the Smiths - Noorah and Rayleen - were grounded last weekend, that's why we didn't see them.

Apparently, Noorah and Rayleen hacked into their parents email accounts, and their parents went ballistic when they found out. The punishment is no "non-school-related" technology until the end of the year.

Their parents may as well have sent them to prison.

But at least Mr. and Mrs. Smith are now allowing the girls to occasionally socialize in person. We'll see Noorah and Rayleen tonight.

At 8 pm, Roo and I grab the food, and a large bottle of green juice, to carry over to the Rangioni's house. I also grab an Almond Joy for the road, and a Snickers for Roo.