CHAPTER 9: Cupcake Fight Club (Block Party Edition)

Affair on the Square is kind of a big deal.

It's not just a neighborhood block party, it's a festival of alliances, drama, and fun, with some food and games sprinkled in.

Yeah, it's a block party, and it's a classic good time with friends and family, but everyone is pretty much watching everyone else.

It's not quite a pageant, but you can definitely see some people getting, well, judge-y...and judged.

Fortunately, my family is pretty cool. We take it in stride. Most of our efforts are focused on baking, saying hello to neighbors, and just having a good time.

It's always a special treat, though, at a festival or faire, to see your crush walk by, to keep a lookout, to feel that exciting heart flutter the moment you spot "the one." Girls will be giggling, guys trying to act cool - there's definitely some peacocking going on - and you really want to make sure to see "that guy," or to make sure "that guy" sees you.

I guess I didn't notice it when we were younger, but hormones have probably been raging at events like this since the beginning of time.

I'm glad Roo is with me today. We've spent the morning baking cupcakes with my mom. And I can hear neighbors setting up tables and chairs outside along the street.

"These look terrific, girls!" my mom says as we finish frosting the last three cupcakes out of 200.

I glance around the kitchen which looks like a cyclone hit it again. This morning has been a labor of love (emphasis on the labor).

The cupcakes look like little 5-inch towers. The soft serve style has turned out beautifully indeed.

"Gorgeous," I say

"Gorgeous," I say.

"Team Emma-Roo!" Roo and I say in unison and high-five.

"Plus mom," I add.

"Yes - thanks, Mrs. Ellerbee," Roo agrees.

"Thank you both for all your hard work! Make sure to take a few cupcakes home, Roo. And let's put the rest outside now." My mom picks up a full cupcake box to carry outside.

Roo and I help by grabbing boxes, too. It's finally time to set up our driveway for Affair on the Square. We carry the cupcakes to the driveway and begin to place a few on tables that Errol and Matthew have already set up for us. Usually, my brothers help with the baking, but Matthew had a late night working on his app so he went back to bed, and Errol, well, I'm not sure where he is.

"It's early enough so the cupcakes won't melt, which is good," my mom says as we arrange a small display on the largest table in our driveway. "But let's keep the rest inside, in the fridge, until they're needed.

"Yeah, it's still early." I sit in the plastic chair next to the main table in our driveway. "But these cupcakes should go fast so I don't think we have to worry about them melting."