CHAPTER 12: ME + YOU = MEOW

Turns out creating a new cooking show is hard work.

But that's ok. It's keeping me focused. It was originally going to be Emma & Roo's Baking Show, but I never got around to talking about the idea with Roo, and, well, now that we're not talking...I guess that dream is gone.

But again, that's ok -  or at least I have to learn to be ok with it.

I stopped contacting Roo. I figured what my family said is true: I just need to give it some space. She will reach out when she's ready. And if not, well, it was a learning experience, I guess.

I've been busy this week with homework, thinking about tent ideas with my brothers, and planning my livestream baking. I've been testing out audio, lighting, and camera angles for my first show. I'm also busy learning to edit video, which is pretty time-consuming.

And I've even picked out my first recipe: a Cookies & Cream Brownie. It's basically a chocolate brownie with an Oreo crumbled on top, but it's delicious. I plan to show audiences how to bake it, and my mom will help too, of course.

This baking show project project puts the energy back in my step. Slowly but surely.

And I really love the idea of it, just thinking about it. Even while I am taking out the trash right now (I offered to help my parents), I'm still thinking about all the cool recipes I can livestream.

I role the large trash can to the street curb outside my house, and before I can turn around to head back inside my house, I see Nick in his front yard getting ready to play basketball.

Nick and his basketball. Getting ready to swoosh and bang.

"Emma, hey!" Nick yells from across the street.

Nick Rangioni. So we meet again.

"Hey, Nick!" I wave.

It's nice to see him and not have all the weird feelings. In fact, I don't really have any feelings for him right now. And I don't care about what happened anymore. Nick is Nick.

"Listen, Emma, I've been thinking about you. And you know, since we'll see each other at The Tents this weekend, I just wanted to make sure we're cool. Especially because you like me so much," Nick continues to yell from across the street.

Is this guy for real?

"Yeah, Nick, again, hey, don't worry about it. I've moved on. We're good!" I yell back.

"No, seriously. I broke your heart, and I know that must be crushing for you, especially after your cupcake breakdown," he shouts from across the street.

"Really. Nick. It's ok. I've moved on," I assure him, lowering my voice a little.

Maybe there's one neighbor who happens to be in a coma and can't hear our conversation.

"You've been humiliated enough..." he continues to yell. "It's like, when is it going to end, you know?"

He's a human megaphone!

I decide to walk across the street rather than continue to broadcast our conversation to a 5-mile radius of eavesdropping neighbors.

"Hey, Nick," I say as I approach him. "Um, yeah, it's ok. Really. We're cool. No need to keep apologizing, or heck, even bring it up ever again!"

"I just feel so bad for you," he says. "Total embarrassment and then I had to break your heart."

Oh, God. For real?