Chapter Eight: The White Castle

The silence which followed the thundering burst seemed to last for hours and the three trespassers almost decided to continue forward until they heard emphatic, synchronized marching. The footsteps echoed about the lair and grew fuller, louder, as though they increased in numbers. The girls and the mysterious man watched from their hiding spots as they finally caught sight of an army dressed in white and gray, slowly marching toward them. This army was made up of both men and women, and it was larger than any army any of them had ever seen. The soldiers were separated into groups, each turning down individual streets until every gap in the city, every alley and corner was occupied. Then all at once they stopped marching and for a moment all was eerily silent. Then followed the chant of a deep male's voice as it echoed about the realm, giving the soldiers orders, forcing them to rehearse.

If these people have the key, Xyntriav is doomed, Rein thought. Now she had a new reason to retrieve the key besides surviving her oath to Captain Tzatara, and she felt the urge swell within her to do so as soon as possible. She glanced at the palm of her left hand—the mark of her promise itched beneath her glove. Rein pulled her coat tightly around her to hide as much of her own natural light as possible and jumped from the lamppost to a small tree. She ripped one of the leaves from the branches and then scurried down to the ground where she whispered into the creek.

"If those two men have anything to do with this, we can't let them keep the key."

Renée's head slowly emerged from the surface of the water. "No," she breathed.

Though the empress fully agreed with Rein, these individuals with their hooded robes made her skin crawl with a strange mix of fear and loathing. She glanced back toward the stairwell from which she came and fought the desire to turn back.

"My guess is they brought the key to their ruler," Rein continued.

"You think we should search the castle?" Renée asked.

"I think that's our best bet, and I think that this creek will lead us there." Rein set the leaf on the ground next to the creek and hopped on top of it. "You can flow there with the current and I can float with you on this leaf."

"I hope this is wise," said the empress as she pulled the leaf into the creek.

Together, the empress and the pixie coursed along with the creek toward the White Castle, which they soon understood was from where the soldiers had emerged. Meanwhile, the mysterious man stayed behind and watched the tiny leaf float deeper into the city while he calculated his next move.

The creek proceeded to flow under the massive platinum doors to the castle, and since Empress Renée and Rein were able to fit beneath them, they entered the structure easily. They both took a moment to glance around at the grand foyer when they emerged. The castle had been carved from whitestone and must have taken decades to forge. Whoever ruled this underground world had bright and colorful taste to say the least. The residents of this fortress practically lived in an enormous garden complete with birds, butterflies, and shapely marble statues. There was even a large koi pond by the fireplace in the grand sitting room. Neither the empress nor Rein were impressed with these surroundings. While it reminded the empress of her sorry courtyard behind the Obsidian Palace, it reminded Rein of the Maja Forest.

"What makes you think this is where they took the key?" Renée whispered.

"Because clearly these people are brainwashed by some higher power," Rein answered. "It's a cult. The Arcorians would have taken the key to their leader rather than keep it for themselves. And where else can this leader live besides the only castle here?"

"Do you have an idea as to where it would be?"

"Not a clue. Perhaps the leader's chamber or study... Of course, I don't know where either are located."