goodbye

...

Dusk had fallen, night soon to come. Along the sidewalks, Y/N and Deja walked side-by-side, the former singing Halloween-related songs while the latter somewhat danced to them. At Y/N's side, It walked and held her hand, ever observant of the happenings around them.

 At one point, Y/N had tried to explain to It the concept of this 'trick or treating', why children were running up to strangers' doors. 

These dumb children willingly knocked on doors...for sweet treats? 

What simple targets they'd make, good for him~ 

A few times, Penn had followed other kids to each doorstep, silently watching each child take what candy was offered to them. It even hesitantly accepted its own candy offerings, although waited every time for that door to close before engaging in a scare tactic. Forget the wrapped sugar; watching children drop their candy pails and run screaming was far more pleasant~

Most of the evening was spent this way, It following Y/N and Deja around the neighborhood, frightening every child that crossed its path. All the while, Y/N encouraged It with resulting laughter or the occasional cheer. 

Unfortunately, someone had decided they needed some unwanted company at that exact moment. 

They heard the snickering, first. Then a mocking howl.

"Hey--aren't you gals a little too old for Trick or Treatin'?" came a smart-mouthed male voice. Both women reigned in their collective groans; they knew who had chosen to pay them a visit. 

"But, uh, if it's company to cure the lonely that ya want...~" taunted one skinny male with brown hair and skull face paint joked in the little posse. There were four of them, four cocky young men who were painted up and reeked of alcohol. Men that usually bothered them when they were alone, back when Pennywise wasn't in their company. 

They didn't break any laws, only going as far to catcall or whistle at the girls that pass by, so neither Y/N or Deja felt threatened by their appearance. 

 "Listen, this isn't a place for some fine specimens like you. Too dangerous out here. So, tell ya what: we can all play nice, tag along with ya, escort you two home. How you feel about that?" he spoke, leaning against the remains of a gate. 

"Please, we already have someone to walk us home," argued the clown, just wanting them all to go so they could get home. Hopefully, before Pennywise lost his temper, he did get a pass for today. 

"This guy?" the goon taunted.

 "Yes this guy, my clown twin, and he has quite a temper," Y/N warned, dropping a candy bag as one or two of them stepped closer. If it was a fight they wanted, she would need free hands.

"Now, why's that? After all, with the way you barely leave the house, and that pudge on your stomach, one might assume you're pregnant." He taunted, nobody except his stupid friends finding that funny.

Pennywise, snarled lowly, the girl rolling her eyes and pressing forward. Ignoring the men.

One of them, having a short temper, growled briefly and went to reach for Y/N's stomach. He didn't count on being intercepted by Deja and a stone the size of a quarter that she'd chucked at him. His angered focus was shifted to her, and he swiped at the girl.

 The moment he'd taken hold of her arm, however, a rumbling growl cut the air around them. It didn't sound like anything they were familiar with.

 Before any of them could ask the question on everyone's mind, red and white lashed out from the sidewalk, latching to the face of the man about to assault Deja.