Fate in Motion (Emrys)

Something like a chuckle passed through Arthur's teeth. "You don't honestly expect me to accept this, do you?"

"Why wouldn't you? My challenge is completely legitimate," Emrys declared. "Don't be fooled by my appearance, Pendragon—I may be a girl, but I can fight as well as any man." Emrys didn't know if beating all the boys in her village counted—especially since none of them had been known for being particularly skilled in swordsmanship—but it was the best she had to offer.

"That doesn't mean you should," said Reuben suddenly. He turned toward Arthur with a bowed head. "Sire, I beg you to forgive her."

"You know this wench," said Percival as he picked his gauntlet off of the ground.

"N-no," said Reuben quickly and Emrys flinched.

"But you're asking that I forgive her," Arthur noted.

Emrys placed her hands over her hips, dropping her basket to the ground. "That's a pretty big request for someone you claim not to know."

"I don't affiliate myself with silly, little girls," said Reuben indignantly.

"Silly, little girls?" Emrys roared.

"Well, I'd hardly mistake you as a woman. I'd be surprised if you're any older than eighteen."

"I'm seventeen," said Emrys, the temperature in her cheeks rising as the knights laughed. "But women are invented through means of character; just as a boy becomes a man through his strength of heart. How useful is a woman with only a pretty face, who possesses no means with which to provide her husband with a challenge both intellectual and emotional? It would be better for the man to buy a dog since it would at least assist him in a hunt."

Arthur laughed and stepped forward. "You argue with my manservant like an old soul mate." The knights joined him in more laughter.

"Or siblings," Emrys whispered. She knew Reuben had heard her when he looked away. Emrys turned back to Arthur and said, "You still haven't given me your answer."

Arthur smiled and shook his head, seemingly regarding her with the same amount of patience given to a young child. "I can't accept your challenge, Emrys."

"Is it because I'm a girl? Because I've already told you—"

"That's part of it," Arthur admitted. "But I don't think you know that this challenge you've issued can only end in death, as written in the Knights' Codes."

"Yes, I'm aware of that. A tragic end, really, but if it must come to that..."

"You're determined to do this, aren't you?"

"I'm determined to provide you with a worthy opponent."

Arthur laughed once more. "Alright, then, Emrys," he said after the longest time. "I accept."

"Finally," she said, turning to Percival. "I'll need to borrow your sword."

After much prompting from Arthur, Percival handed it over to her. "Careful," he warned, "you might be too small for it."

It was a magnificent piece of work but Emrys couldn't help but note that it was longer than her forearm and much heavier than she'd anticipated. She refused to ask for another sword. "I'm sure you'll find that I can manage just fine. Now give us room."

Arthur smiled at her, holding his sword in such a way that the light that reflected off of the tip blinded Emrys' eyes. "Think you can handle this, Emrys?"

"You've no idea what I can handle. But you're not afraid of me, are you?"

"Not in the least."

"Good." Emrys swung her sword to catch Arthur's as it came down on her. Despite her buckling knees, Emrys managed to summon the strength she needed to push Arthur away.