The Royal Guard (Arthur)

"I can't understand it, Reuben," said Arthur, without turning away from his bedroom window. He kept his eyes fixed on the girl below, who had been so focused on getting to the castle that she'd almost allowed herself to be trampled by a horse and cart. She raised her hands in what Arthur assumed was an apology before racing through the castle gate.

Reuben set down Arthur's breakfast and moved to the window beside his master. "Can't understand what, sire?"

"That girl..."

"Emrys?"

Arthur nodded and turned around as Emrys disappeared into the castle. "I can't stop thinking about it."

"Thinking, sire?"

"I've trained dozens of knights, defeated the tallest of enemies, conquered the largest of armies, and yet" —he stopped to swirl the contents in his goblet— "I was beaten in combat by a girl."

Arthur frowned as Reuben tried to hide a smile. "It's not funny, Reuben. I'm sure the knights are laughing as well."

"I'm sure they aren't, sire."

"Why wouldn't they? I'm supposed to be leading them. Do you know what that means, Reuben? They should be inspired by me to fight for me, to defend Camelot."

"Who says they aren't inspired? We don't even know if they're laughing."

Arthur took a large bite out of his sausage. "They're laughing," he said acidly. "You laughed. And if you don't fear me enough not to laugh, they won't."

"I apologize for laughing, sire. I didn't mean any harm by it. I'm sure the knights aren't laughing, though. They respect you too much to do that."

Arthur shook his head, saying, "They must fear me too much to do that. Respect is a familiarity that I can't afford. If I want to rule this kingdom as my father does one day, I must be feared just as he's feared. I can't allow my position to be undermined by some girl."

"It's really not that serious, sire. I'm sure this entire situation will be seen as a testament to your good-heartedness."

"Oh? Go on, then." He finished the contents in his goblet.

"Nobody could expect you to grant her request. But you saw that she obviously had something to prove and humored her anyway. And as if that wasn't already enough, you went easy on her so that she'd win. The law calls for the death of anyone who'd lay a harmful hand on a member of the royal family, but despite the fact that she threw a sword at you, you didn't exact such a punishment."

"You're right," cried Arthur suddenly, smiling. "It's as you say, Reuben! I should've called for her head, or at least her arrest, but I didn't do such a thing. How could I when she obviously felt as if she had something to prove to me?"

"Prove to you, sire?"

"It all makes sense now—why she challenged me, why she saved my life, why she makes such an effort to show her contempt for me. The poor girl obviously has feelings for me."

Reuben almost dropped the goblet to the floor. "Feelings for you?"

"That poor girl," said Arthur, smiling and shaking his head. "I understand why she'd feel this way. Who wouldn't? I'll have to let Emrys know, of course, that her fantasy can never come to be. As a serving girl, she could never hope that something might actually happen between us." Arthur stood up and began to walk to his door.

Reuben hurried to block his master. "Forgive me, sire, but is there really a need to discuss this with her? I don't think you're considering the girl's feelings."