Wine of Fire (Arthur)

Saying it out loud seemed almost silly to Arthur, but something in his gut told him he'd spoken the truth. Staring into the bewildered faces of Emrys and Reuben, Arthur said even more confidently, "Malin is the sorcerer."

"The plague sorcerer," Reuben gasped.

"I'm not sure the two cases are related. At least I don't know, but I know that he's the sorcerer we're looking for now."

"You think Malin killed Heior?"

"Heior was killed by a fire that was summoned with magic. There was a burnt circle of hay in the far corner where we think the sorcerer must have been standing. Malin's cane is charred at the bottom, and we found a similar golden thread there as the one resting on your clothes."

Emrys stood up and turned to look at Arthur. "But you really think Malin has magic? Not that I don't trust your judgment, Arthur, but that's a serious accusation with little proof. I fear we wouldn't be able to prove it."

"You are my proof, Emrys." To her confused look, he said, "Everyone with magic so far has had what seems to be an immediate and intense obsession with you, Emrys, and now I know that it's because they know you can't be affected by them. If we're going to prove that Malin is truly the sorcerer, we're going to need you."

"As evidence?"

Arthur shook his head. "More like bait."

"No," Morgana said sternly. She glared at her brother through his reflection in the mirror. "Absolutely not, Arthur."

Arthur sighed in exasperation and glanced up at the ceiling. "Morgana, it's not as bad as you think it is."

"No, Arthur, you're right. It's actually worse. I will not allow you to use Emrys as bait for that monster. I don't want her anywhere near him."

"Technically she won't be near him." In a quieter voice, he said, "She's to try to search his chambers."

"Yes," said Guinevere with a cruel laugh, "but for Emrys to do that would essentially be to incriminate herself—whether she's guilty or not. You know Malin doesn't care either way. You should've thought about that and have thought to ask for Morgana's opinion on the fate of her handmaiden before acting."

"Perhaps you should've thought about my opinion, then, when it came to Reuben. It wouldn't have had to come to this if you hadn't gone to that snake."

"Enough, Arthur. Leave her alone," Morgana ordered. "There's no way any of us could've known what would have come of this. Guinevere was only trying to do the right thing."

"The right thing," Arthur scoffed.

"Arthur!"

"I'm sorry, Morgana, but the 'right thing' might just cost an innocent man his life. How many lives have we already seen destroyed by people who have tried to do the 'right thing'? How many more lives have to be lost before we do something to change it?"

"We can't go against our father, Arthur."

"I know that! You don't think I know that? But I'm not going against our father right now; I'm going against Malin. He's our enemy here and we have the power to beat him."

"But it's not you who's using their power to beat him, is it, Arthur? You're using Emrys, and I know it's because he can't affect her. Hiding behind someone else's power doesn't make you brave and it doesn't make your cause righteous."

As much as he wanted to argue, Arthur found that he couldn't. No matter how he looked at it, he realized Morgana was right. He was hiding behind Emrys. Despite the fact that Emrys was willing to go against Malin, Arthur realized he'd volunteered her life with his plan. Suddenly he didn't feel as confident as before.