4: Meet the Fire Breathing Bitch Queen

(Back in Maya's pov and let me know what you think Vaughan's last name should be.. right now I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of Oakfall but my mind changes easily.)

The sound of Vaughan unlocking my cell awoke me and my demon babies. Naturally just seeing him put a smirk on my face as I was reminded of how uncomfortable he got last night. Maybe I do have a hobby... messing with Vaughan.

"I'm taking you to see the Queen," Vaughan says. He moves to undo my ankle shackles, making it easier for me to walk. Nice to see that he's finally starting to trust me. 

"You're joking! A lowlife like me gets to meet Queen Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, the fire breathing bitch queen herself!" I really am excited though, learning what the Queen wants with me is the only thing keeping me from getting the hell out of here.

"Don't speak of the Queen that way unless you want to find yourself in the gallows... if that's not already where she plans on sending you." Looks like Vaughan is still upset about last night's shenanigans. Technically I didn't do anything wrong because if I recall correctly, he never asked if I had any more weapons. Lana, Lyra and Lucia are escorted away by some sort of handler that looks a bit sketchy if you ask me. The walk to the throne room where I am to meet Queen Aelin really isn't that bad. The castle looks beautiful from what I can see, which isn't much due to the brutes surrounding me that block my view. How dangerous do they think I am, I mean I'm shackled in irons... whether or not I unlocked them is the question.

The throne room is just as beautiful as the rest of the castle, large windows let in the morning sun that illuminates the dark green carpets and banners. The Queen looks about the same up close as she does from afar. Golden hair and those notorious Ashryver eyes. She's beautiful and I can't say that I would decline an invitation to her bed if I ever were to receive one. I dip into a low and slightly mocking bow as Vaughan stops me several feet away from the stairs of the dais.

"Hello Creed, or Maya, whichever you prefer," the Queen waits for my response but I just give her an uninterested look. "Maya then, I'm sure you are curious as to why I tasked Vaughan with retrieving you for me. I will make you an offer but before, I wish to ask you a few questions." I would tell her to fuck off and then I'd leave but an offer from the Queen sounds interesting. My raised eyebrow signals her to ask away. "Is Maya truly your name?"

"Yes," I reply. I miss my hounds so playing around with the Queen isn't important to me right now.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-two." That answer gives me a few shocked looks from the guards around me.

"What powers do you possess?"

"I am capable of manipulating ice and I also have the ability to jump from one place to the next. I believe Advisor Moonbeam has a similar ability." I choose not to tell her about my affinity for slipping into people's minds and playing around with them. The less she knows the better. She pauses for what seems like forever and I grow bored rather easily. The decision is made that now would be a good time to showcase my capabilities. I send Vaughan and the Queen a mischievous smile before I release the hold on my manacles and they fall to the floor. All of the guards rush to me and just before they get their mucky hands on me I vanish. I only land outside of the throne room doors but luckily that's where I was aiming for. The guards at the door give me an incredulous look before I slip into their minds and make them open the doors. All heads turn to me as the doors open and I can't help but giggle a little. "What's your offer," I ask the Queen. If she didn't dislike me before, she does now. I am beginning to understand why she got her nickname.

"Nice trick, Maya. Now that you have told me what I wish to know, you may hear my offer," says the Queen. I just shoot her a bored look. "I could easily send you to the gallows right now for the crimes you have committed, for the people you have killed. But, I believe that you can help me. I'm sure you've heard of underground slave trades and other criminal activity that roams across the continent, and based on the fact that almost all of the people you have dispatched in the last eight years have been people involved in such crimes, I believe that you could help me with my little problem." Based on the look on Vaughan's face I can tell that he didn't know how I hand picked my victims. They were all pedophiles, wife beaters and the other scum of the world. Why be a notorious assassin if you can't do a little good as well? The Queen begins to go on, drawing my attention back to her, "Work for me, dispatch who I tell you to and your crimes will be forgiven. You will also receive a handsome salary and be invited to live on the castle grounds."

Now this is an offer I can't turn down, "On one condition... I get to continue my private work as Creed meaning that you must keep my identity hidden from the people." I really could go without that but seeing how much the Queen really needs me is important.

"Fine. Documents will be sent to you this evening and I will have Vaughan show you to your quarters," she states. "Oh and Vaughan, please allow her to choose whichever room she wishes and I assume you will assist her should she need anything?"

"Yes, my Queen," Vaughan replies kindly. Only I catch the scowl on his face when he turns to guide me away. I can't help the sickly smile that arises on my face as he leads me away.

I am going to like it here, very much.