09. Masked Assassins

As Guinevere came upon the front door, she heard rustling in the back. She walked around, keeping the twins behind her, and found Klaus digging through the dumpster.

"Klaus, what are you doing?" Guinevere asked.

Klaus poked his head up. "Huh? Oh, hello, dear! You haven't seen that pearl inlay ornate box around, have you?"

"No. You still can't find it?"

"It was here last I knew."

"Then someone must have taken it."

Layla frowned. "Stinky, Uncle Klaus."

Guinevere frowned at her daughter. "Layla Grace, be nice."

"Wait, Grace?" Klaus said. "That's Mom's name."

"Diego named her."

"Of course he would use Mom's name. He's such a mama's boy."

"Being a mama's boy isn't a bad thing. Come on, Liam, Layla, let's go inside." She paused and turned back to Klaus. "You seemed like you were talking to someone. Who?"

"Uh, my brother Ben."

"Isn't he dead?"

"Yes he is. But I can speak to him."

"That must be nice."

"It is. Mostly. Hey; don't give me that look!"

Guinevere glanced around, looking around for Layla. "Where are you, sweetheart?"

Layla appeared and smiled. "Right here, Mommy. You couldn't see me in the walls."

"No, I couldn't. Layla, please don't do that. It scares me when you disappear like that."

Klaus frowned. "What'd she do? She disappeared into the walls?"

Guinevere nodded. "She's my little chameleon. She can camouflage into things."

"Does Liam have any special ability?"

"Uh, yes. He gets visions of people dying. Diego and I first noticed it when he had a nightmare about his best friend's death and two days later, he died in his sleep. Undiagnosed heart condition that finally caught up with him."

"That's terrible!"

"Yeah. He took it pretty hard."

Liam pulled on his mother's shirt. "Don't talk about Todd. We gotta go inside."

Guinevere followed her children inside.

Diego took his wife's hand. "There's something you need to see."

He led her into the drawing room and they stood in front of a monitor.

Guinevere frowned. "Honey, what is this?"

Diego glanced at her. "Luther suspects Mom killed Dad."

Guinevere turned to face her brother-in-law. "Luther. Tell me that's not what you think!"

He glared at her and played the clip. She watched as Grace stood over their father's bed, watching as he died.

"Do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya asked from the back.

Guinevere shook her head. "Judging from what I've seen, I don't believe she would."

Luther looked between Vanya and Guinevere. "You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya. You haven't been here before, Guinevere. Maybe you don't know Grace anymore. Guinevere, you don't know Grace."