Gunslinger!Ichimatsu x Cheating!Reader

(Inspired by 'Over the Hills and Far Away' cover by Patty Gurdy. Song is considered the 'prequel' to this one-shot.)

He barely thanked the carriage driver as he got off, flipping him a coin for passage before pressing his brimmed hat further down onto his head. The dusty streets were worse than the last time he was here, proving that the harsh summer season was well underway. The weather today wasn't hotter than any other day, but the sight of the dust clouds stirred up by any foot, hoof, or wheel on the road made his mouth dry, urging him towards the saloon to grab something to drink after the long ride back home.

"What will ya have?" The bartender didn't look up from arranging something underneath the countertop, the man taking advantage of his lack of awareness and pulling the brim of his hat down a little further before sitting at one of the stools.

"Whiskey," A clink of coin drew the bartender's attention, the well-dressed man standing up and fetching the ordered drink and glass. After pouring an ample amount into the stout glass, the bartender slid it down towards the new arrival.

"Just passing through?"

"Only a ghost looking for a place to haunt," The man gave a weak laugh, downing the drink in one swallow before wincing as if it was stronger than he anticipated, setting the glass down and sliding it back towards the bartender for a refill.

"Well, if you're looking for a place to live," The glass was refilled with whiskey and set back in front of the man, "You'll need to talk to the governor about that. There should be a few homes available since a businessman is looking to purchase the lots."

"Thanks for the hint," The man downed the second glass as easily as the first, setting down a few coins before standing up from the stool and leaving the saloon.

A gust of dry wind blew his long coat about him, the dark color not seeming to phase him as the sun instantly warmed the fabric with its intense heat. Readjusting the brimmed hat, the man let his eyes wander the main street, watching the people and livestock head towards their various destinations before spotting something that interested him. He cautiously moved down the boarded walkway, avoiding obstacles while his eyes remained focused on what caught his attention.

The building was clearly marked as a Pony Express station, the local hub for sending and receiving messages through a rudimentary courier service. The doorway was wide open to the elements, allowing the couriers easy access and ensuring that their parcels were delivered that much faster.

"--ust want to have this letter delivered, postmaster," A feminine voice reached the man's ears as he found a comfortable position to watch the woman through the open doorway.

"You've been busy, Mrs. (L/n)," The postmaster commented as he quickly calculated the postage needed to send the letter she handed over to him, "How much longer will you keep sending these letters?"

"It's for my peace of mind," Mrs. (L/n) responded, offering a gentle smile before turning her head to her left, looking at something that was blocked from the man's view by her dress, "I made someone a promise and I intend to keep it for as long as I'm alive."

"The sheriff isn't against you doing this?"

"My husband knows."

The man's heart thudded in his chest, his right hand reaching up and pressing down on his necktie to make sure the organ stayed right where it was, feeling the nervous thing prance about like a newborn foal in his ribcage. He knew exactly where those letters were going, but knew that there wouldn't be anyone to read them when they arrived at their destination.