Chapter 8

By the time I got home and took a shower, it was dark. I was watching tv in bed when I got the text.

Tyler: Hey.

I forgot that I had given him my number at the diner.

Me: Hi

Tyler: im sorry about what happened at the beach.

Me: u have nothing to be sorry about

Tyler: well, im sorry anyways

Me: ok

Tyler: are you sure everythings alright?

Me: its fine. i have to go

Tyler: ok. goodnight

I knew I was being a little bit mean, but I didn't care. It wasn't his fault and I understood that, I just didn't want to lead him on anymore. I was going to call Zola and Sophie, but I knew they would try to make me feel better. And I didn't want to feel better.

***

The next morning I was working again and I was looking forward to seeing Frankie. I told her all about the night before. I felt kinda bad for not telling Zola and Sophie, so I texted them on my break.

Zola: Omg!!!! WHY DIDNT YOU KISS HIM!!!

Me: i dont like him like that

Sophie: dont lie to us

Me: ok

Me: so maybe i like him like that

Zola: yea girl! so do sum bout it

Me: no cause even if he likes me like that he'll hide it when we get back to school. all boys like him do it and i dont just want a summer fling.

Sophie: but what if hes different

Zola: yea what she said....

Me: i seriously doubt it

Sophie: but you wont know until you try

Zola: also summer flings are the best

Zola: in my opinion.

Sophie: shut up zola

Me: hahhaha

Zola: anyway...

Zola: i started packing for this weekendddddd

Sophie: YASSSSS this is gonna be so much fun

Me: yea cant wait to see u guys <3

After a little while of talking about our weekend plans, it was back to the grind for me. Frankie said the same thing as Zola. She thinks summer flings are the best way to "get some" or so she phrased it. At this point, I wasn't sure what I wanted. Maybe a summer fling was the way to go. After all, I barely knew Tyler, maybe he just wasn't the dating type. That's when the chef yelled "ORDER UP" from the kitchen and I had to get back to work.

***

When Zola and Sophie arrived that weekend our squeals were probably heard from a mile away. We had the whole weekend planned: the beach, mani-pedis, the beach, the beach, and um let me think... the beach. I took off work the whole weekend so we could spend every second together. First, I told them to wear their bathing suits under their clothes for when they arrived. This was so that we could jump in the pool immediately. 

We did just that. 

Bob bought this volleyball net for the pool so we played for a little while. Matt, Sara, and I were on a team and Zola and Sophie were on the other. My mom called herself the "lifeguard" so she could sit out and relax on the lawn chairs. Bob was the referee and kept calling Sophie out on hitting the net when she spiked. It was a lot of fun and of course, my team won.

"YEAH! High-fives guys!" I said to Matt and Sara. They gave me high-fives with their cute little hands and we rubbed our victory in Zola and Sophie's faces.

"We would've won if it wasn't for that bad call," argued Sophie.

"No, you guys lost fair and square," I argued back.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," said both Sara and Matt in their cute little kid voices. We all started laughing. After that, we had some lunch and hung out in the guest house.

"So... when are we gonna meet Tyler?" Zola asked out of nowhere as she looked away from her phone.

"You're not," I responded without a thought. Sophie laughed at that.

"What if he comes over?" she continued.

"He won't."

"I don't know..." she was persistent.

"Leave her alone," added Sophie.

"Chill, chill," Zola said.

Sophie was determined to change the topic. 

"So the boardwalk tonight? That should be fun," she said. 

I know this sounds like a song or some shit, but in this town, under the boardwalk - after like 9:00 pm - was where all of the teenagers went. They drank, some smoked, and a good amount hooked up. Since it was Saturday night I told them we could check it out.

"Yeah," I said. I'll admit I didn't have too much enthusiasm.

"What's wrong," asked Sophie.

"Nothing. It'll be fun," I perked up. "Let's go pick out our outfits." We stood up and went to my room. 

The living room was a little crowded because of the couch being pulled out anyway. After a while of talking and trying on clothes, we all had an outfit. Zola was going to wear this cute, red spaghetti strap short dress with her white sneakers. We both agreed the red would look nice with her perfect brown skin. Sophie then decided on a pair of mom jean shorts, a black bodysuit, and some gold sandals. Her blonde hair looked really pretty against the black and the gold sandals brought out the hazel in her eyes. They both looked stunning. My outfit took a bit longer to put together because I had my whole closet with me and they only had their suitcases. Eventually, we picked a white halter top, blue and white striped beachy pants, and some white cork wedges. I always like to add a few inches.