Chapter 1

I've never been very popular or had an overwhelming amount of friends. I know a lot of people at school and they all know me but I'm not the center of attention. I'm not the girl everyone wants to be.

When I was 13 my mom married my step-dad. I'm not mad about it or anything. He's a really nice guy and I've grown to really like him and his kids. The only problem is that he's super-rich. I'm not saying that I don't want to have money, and there's not that much of a difference now. I was raised without money so I don't think I'll become spoiled or anything, but money does have its burdens. In particular, for me, it taught me who my real friends were. It's not that any of my old friends were terrible people, they just all wanted something from me once they found out I was wealthy. But I guess that can also be a good thing because now I know who I can trust. Them being my best friends Zola and Sophie.

Going into freshman year of high school was scary. Going into my sophomore year was a little bit better. And now it's the summer before my junior year and I'm so excited. I'm halfway done high school and I get another summer in my step dad's awesome beach house. My other summers of high school haven't been the best.

The summer before high school, Matt and Sara, my step-siblings, were at that age. The age where they are a pain in the as*. Matt and Sara are twins and they were in their potty training stage that summer.

Even worse, I was their built-in babysitter.

The summer before 10th grade was only a bit better. they were "enlarging" the pool, whatever that means, so there was construction half the summer. Plus, Sophie was at the theatre camp and Zola was obsessed with her new boyfriend Marco. That left me and only me to enjoy the summer.

But this summer, this summer is going to be the best summer ever. Theatre camp isn't opening and Marco is long gone. The kids are still annoying but can take care of themselves. and bob, my stepdad, and my mom are letting me stay in the pool house which basically means my own, away from the kids, party house (kinda).

Every summer I was growing up my mom and I would come down to the beach and stay at my grandmother's house. I practically grew up here. However, a few summers ago my grandmother sold the house and there was one summer in between having my grandmother's shore house and my stepdads. That was the worst summer of my life. All I did was stay inside and watch movies. It was boring.

Well, anyway, my grandmother wasn't doing so well so they put her in an assisted living facility. At first, I was not on board with the idea because everyone hates being at nursing homes. But my mom sat me down and explained that assisted living is not a nursing home. She's living in a house in a community full of houses with people her age. She can't move around as well as she used to so they have nurses that can come by and people to pick up her groceries for her. That made me happy because I want her to have friends her own age. We go to visit her all the time and I can tell she is happy not to have that shore house anymore because it was a burden on her.

That summer without a shore house was so boring that I was more than happy to hear that we were staying at bob's the next summer. His house is gigantic. 5 bedroom 4 bath beach house, fairly modern but my mom remodeled it to be a more homey-beachy vibe. When Bob said it was right on the beach though, I didn't think he really meant our pool is looking at the waves and we have our own entry to the beach. So I guess that's kinda cool. Correction, it's awesome. This summer Zola and Sophie are visiting whenever they can plus an already planned two full weeks staying with me in the pool house, which has its own mini kitchen, full-size living room, a bedroom, and a full-size bathroom. If this isn't the best summer of my life I don't know what will be.

The first few chapters are slow, but they are setting up for some twists and turns. Thanks for reading,
                                                                                mj