Chapter 14

I fell asleep seconds after texting him and woke up to giggling outside my bedroom door. I decided to join Zola and Sophie again and found them sitting on the couch watching a funny movie. When they realized I had come out of my shell, Zola started turning down the volume.

"Hey girl," she exclaimed in an empathetic voice.

"I did something," I said as I sat down next to them.

"We know," said Sophie.

"No, I did another thing. It was worse... I texted Aiden." 

On that note, the tv was turned off and they both faced me. 

"I know I like Tyler and I was so mad at myself for it that I texted Aiden and told him I wanted to hook up tonight." The room was quiet for a minute until Sophie broke the silence.

"Why are you so afraid of liking Tyler?" asked Sophie.

"I don't really know," I began. "I think It's because he's popular, so I just assume he'll be a douchebag once school starts. Or maybe because he's out of my league and I'm afraid that means I'm not good enough."

"But you won't know until you try," exclaimed Sophie.

"And what if I get heartbroken because of it? This is supposed to be our hot girl summer, remember?" I smiled at that last part.

"Yes, and leading this boy on might be the most ultimate hot girl summer thing you've ever done. But having a summer fling, would be even better," explained Zola.

"And what if it becomes a relationship that lasts?" I asked.

"Then you will have everything you wanted," claimed Sophie.

"I just don't think I'm ready to date him yet. But I do realize how stupid that text to Aiden was and should probably text him back," I said, picking up my phone. I texted him that I had family plans I forgot about and he understood. I felt bad for using him, though.

The girls and I decided to go out shopping tonight instead. We took the shuttle into town and went from shop to shop. By the time we got to my favorite store, Zola had bought a pair of shoes and a sweatshirt and Sophie had picked up a cute yellow sundress.

"Well, Martha said that Damien was making out with Charlotte that same night," Sophie went on about some hometown drama as we ruffled through the hangers of clothes. We were at this little shop in the middle of town called Serendipity. It was my favorite place and I almost always found something that I loved there. Zola held up a purple top to her chest and asked our opinion.

"I like it," I agreed.

"Martha went right up to Damien, in front of everyone, and slapped him right in the face," Sophie continued, laughing at her story.

"Sounds like he deserved it," I said.

"Wow, that must've been funny," added Zola. I was now looking through the discount bins when I found the cutest grey cropped sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off. Zola and Sophie both agreed it was a steal. Zola and I bought the items we found and we all left the store.

"Where should we go next?" asked Sophie.

"I'm kind of tired," exclaimed Zola.

"We can go back to my place and just go in the pool," I suggested. They both agreed that it was a good idea so we began walking back the way we came. We were laughing about something Zola had said when I froze.

"What is it?" Sophie asked when she realized I had stopped walking. I frantically looked around and ducked behind the bench closest to us.

"What the hell are you doing?" asked Zola.

I shushed them and said, "just sit on the bench and hide me," as I peeked over it.

"What is this abo-" started Zola again, but I interrupted her.

"Just do it!" I whisper-shouted. Just across the street, Tyler was with his football buddies. They were walking out of the pizza place I showed him when I spotted him. Sophie had figured out what we were hiding for and had to whisper to Zola.

"Why are you hiding, though?" Zola asked, keeping her head forward.

"I don't know. I just don't want him to see me," I answered.

"Fair enough," she said. 

It was one of those benches built out of planks an inch apart from one another, so I could see through one of the cracks in between Zola and Sophie. They were all going to get in Tyler's truck with their pizza and Tyler looked straight at us. He knows Zola and Sophie at this point, and he knows that they are only down the shore with me. So, he probably found it weird that they were just sitting on a random desk trying to look busy without me. He climbed into his truck anyways and drove away.

A few minutes later we were still walking back to my house when I got a text. It was from Tyler.

Tyler: Hey

Tyler: Random question, but where are you?

This is awkward.

Me: walking home, why?

Tyler: I just saw your friends out without you. Just thought it was weird.

Shit. I showed Sophie and Zola the text and they said to just tell him I was in the store or something. So I did.

Me: oh i was just still in the store and they were waiting for me outside. where were you that you saw us?

Tyler: Some of the boys from the football team are here this weekend and we went out to get pizza. It was actually at that place you showed me.

Me: oh cool

Tyler: you should meet them

"Oh my god. Why does he want me to meet them?" I exclaimed in surprise.

"Maybe because he likes you..." Zola said as if it was obvious.

Me: maybe

I just went with something vague, but I was freaking out on the inside. I already knew a lot of them because we go to school together, but I don't think they know me. I wish Tyler would stop making this so hard for me. We got back to the guest house and sat on the couch.

"I think I have an idea, Rory," Zola got my attention. "But, hear me out."

"Ok?" I said, scared for this idea of hers.

"What if we do go over there and meet them? All of us," she began her idea.

"Why would we do that?" Sophie chirped.

"Soph, shut up, you're ruining my scheme," Zola commanded. "Anyways... We can all go over there and party with these hot football kids. And, while we're there, you can be really flirty with one of them and it will kind of signal to Tyler that you're not interested."
"I don't know..." I frowned upon the idea.

"Come on, it will be fun," she said. Zola's always up for a party with cute boys.

"I mean, I'm in," Sophie agreed.

"Yeah, but I've never even been to his place and it's weird to just kind of invite myself..." I said, making up an excuse not to go through with this.

"Well then invite them all to the beach. We'll have like a beach bonfire thing and we can invite other people too. It'll just be a fun party and it will get the job done for you," Sophie pitched in.

"That's a great idea," Zola and Sophie were on the same page for once. I wanted to say no, but it really did sound like a good idea.

"Plus, you could wear that hoodie you got today," Zola said.

I gave them a few extra seconds of eerie silence until I finally gave in. 

"Ok, fine." They both cheered and we started planning this last-minute get together. 

I was in charge of texting Tyler and inviting him and his friends. Zola and Sophie put it out on all their social media, but we planned it a few blocks down from me so my parents wouldn't see us. I didn't put it on my socials because I didn't want Aiden to see it. I still kind of felt bad for using him... and attempting to use him again. Plus, everyone I knew, excluding Aiden, Zola and Sophie knew, so word would get around. Now, it was just time to text Tyler.