6

Ananaya threw the front door wide open and the cold air hit her face. Vikram came out in the corridor from the kitchen. Ananya gave his a cursory looked and walked out into the cold. He looked haggard and woebegone; his hair was in a mess, like he had run his hand through it the whole night, his eyes looked haunted and his mouth was set in thin line. He followed behind her but Ananya simply ignored him as she set her bags down. He stopped a few paces away from her. She was removing her car keys from her jeans pocket when he said, "I am sorry." Ananya heard it but she was still seething from yesterday night's drama. She was fed up with all of it and had no energy to get into another row with him. She gave no reaction to his statement and opened the car door. Picking up her bags, she placed them inside her car.

The day held the promise of bright sunshine as the first rays of sunlight had just begun to touch the dew covered petals, lifting the darkness. It became brighter every passing second as sun kept rising. There was a new awakening around them as the flowers began to open and the birds started chirping. The scenery looked untouched and beautiful but neither of them noticed it. Ananya zipped up her jacket as she slammed the car door,

"Look, I am sorry!" He said touching her lightly on the arm.

"Don't touch me!" She said jerking her arm away.

He took a deep breath as he thrust his hands in his jean pockets like he couldn't keep his hands from touching her, "I'll make you a deal, I wouldn't touch you if you would agree to stay."

"Please go back inside and leave me alone!" Ananya said as she walked up to the driver's side. She sat in her car and switched on the ignition. She turned on the wipers to clean all the condensed water droplets on her windshield. But before she could put the car in the first gear Vikram opened the door and pulled out the key from the engine in one swift move. Ananya exclaimed but didn't bother to fight for the keys. What was the point? She was in no mood to touch him or let him touch her. She just exhaled with exasperation.

"Please give me my car keys!" She said in a very low voice. She was sure she was developing a migraine.

"You know, it's not easy apologizing to you." Vikram said as he leaned over her through the open door. Ananya just held her hand out for the keys, which Vikram had now pocketed.

"See, I am sorry for yesterday, I am sorry for interfering in your private life and for my behavior but I need your help here, I am requesting you to please co-operate." He said with sincerity in his eyes. He asserted as Ananya gave him an 'I am not sure' look full of disdain.

Vikram tried again. "I wouldn't interfere in your work and you don't in mine. I promise I'll be cordial and there will not be any more fights."

***

Ananya thought that she must be simply out of her pea sized brain when Vikram carried her bags back into the house and she found herself following him back inside the house empty handed. I am too tired to think straight. She told herself. Yesterday was the longest day of my life! She sighed to herself. Vikram was walking up the stairs and turned to look at her "I suggest we both take a nap before the kids wake up."

"Too late." Ananya stated lackadaisically as Jai came out of his room and looked from Vikram to Ananya with curiosity.

"Hey buddy! You're up early!" Vikram said with great cheer as he placed her bags in her room and picked up the little boy. Jai instantly smiled and hugged him warmly. "Hey! Did you say 'hi' to Ananya here?" Vikram asked Jai and gestured towards her.

Jai said a pretty confident hi considering his age. Ananya simply smiled. Ananya knew she need a cup of tea and an ibuprofen before she even thought of the task that lay ahead in the day.