13

Vikram heard Ananya rush up the stairs like the hounds of hell were after her. Vikram tried to rush after her but after a few steps in her direction, he knew that talking sense with Ananya at this point would be futile and would lead to more arguments than ever before. He released a shaky breath and sat down on the now cold sofa. He slowly put his clothes back on and then simply to occupy his mind, he started cleaning the room. He didn't want to think about Ananya right at the moment.

Hell!! He shouldn't have even slept with her. They had both been so caught up in the moment that neither of them stopped to assess what they were doing and put a stop to it. The passion just caught up with them and quickly burned out of control.

It had been complete torture to live with Ananya in such close approximation and never touch her or kiss her. Vikram had lost account of how many times he had lain awake throughout the night with desire and heat because he could hear her, smell her and feel her sleeping in the next room. He had wanted to pull her in his arms and ravish her with kisses but instead he had kept his distance from her and stayed as far as he could from her.

Ananya had looked so vulnerable this dawn that, at first, all he had wanted to do was comfort and protect her. However, the longer she sat in his lap and whimpered little pleasure moans, the more he found her difficult to resist. She was so soft and had looked so beautiful in his arms that his heart had completely melted. He had never meant to take it all the way, but her acquiesce and eager participation had burnt his patience and fueled his desire. When she had begun to kiss him back, it simply broke the tight restraint Vikram had put on his feelings for her and he just couldn't resist her anymore.

Vikram picked up the cushions that they had thrown off the sofa in the heat of the moment and set them back on the sofa. He set the heater back in the corner and shut it off. The room was warm enough and he needed to have a cup of tea- his body and mind craved a nice intoxicating hit of caffeine. He walked into the kitchen and reheated his pan. He fetched two cups and set them on the counter, waiting for the tea to boil. He decided that Ananya would need a cup too and he might be able to talk to her in peace. He needed to sort out a few things with her that were pending since a long long long time. They needed to open their closets and hearts and expose their respective skeletons.

As he turned off the heat and placed the sieve in a cup to pour the tea into it, his phone started ringing. He placed the pan back on the stove and reached for his phone.

***

Ananya entered the bathroom and the cold hit her in the face. The floor tiles were like ice under her feet and the chill in the bathroom felt like a blizzard but she was oblivious to it all. Her hands shook as she opened the tap and put her shaking hand under the ice-cold water. She splashed the cold water on her face and the cold seemed to pierce her fogged brain. She took a deep ragged breath and splashed some more cold water on her face. Finally, when she felt she could breath normally, she closed the tap, switched on the geyser and sat down on the lone mat with her back towards the door. She wrapped her arms around her legs and cried silently.

She had made a gigantic mistake.

And she was smart and rational enough to realize that sleeping with Vikram had been a minor issue, what really shook her to her bone was how easily she had allowed Vikram back in her life. She had thought that she could handle staying with him in such close proximity but she couldn't have been more wrong.

She had allowed Vikram back into her life and after everything; he would heartlessly leave again while she'll have to deal with her aching heart. She should have left when she opened the door that first day for him. She should have realized that her emotional stability is more important than her honor and commitment.