7

Vikram walked back to the T.V room to enjoy a few moments of peace and quiet. He settled himself before the warm radiator and yawned. He was tired but his mind wouldn't quit running at top speed. If there was a woman on this earth who could tie his heart into knots, it was Ananya Chopra. She could make his heart race and his alert mind like custard pudding. In the past, he had often questioned himself if he actually thought with his dick where she was concerned. Well, he wouldn't be too surprised if that were indeed true. He had always found Ananya beautiful, even when she was a doe-eyed naïve young girl of 18 in college. One look at her in the corridor, especially when he had seen her sneaking away from the orientation class the first time he saw her, had made him realized that there was indeed something between them. He hadn't known then, but she mesmerized him in such a way as no other girl had ever had.

He had never fancied himself as a guy who believed in things such as 'love at first sight' or who went over aboard with huge romantic gestures but Ananya inspired all such feelings in him. He wanted to do such things for her but these feelings scared him. Was he commitment phobic? Maybe. Many a nights in his solitude at UK, he had thought about that in retrospect but he had been too young and with a set of strict parents, he was always being pushed to study hard and make a life for himself.

However, after many a nights alone (especially with excess alcohol in his system) and after seeing his roommates and friends date girls in the UK, he had come to the realization that maybe Ananya had been the 'girl that got away.'

He sighed loudly. He really wanted to remove the Jameson Irish whiskey bottle, he had hidden away in this room's study cabinet and drink a Patiala peg, because, oh God! He needed the 90 ml shot today. Nobody pushed his buttons like Ananya.

He switched off the radiator and pulled the woolen throw over himself as he settled on the couch.

But, Ananya was here. Maybe life HAD given him another chance.

Of course! She was getting married to another guy and he had been almost engaged to a girl, himself, yet, they were both here today. And his old feelings were stirring in his heart. He was being handed another chance with a girl who, he really really had deep feelings for, though she was the same woman who broke his heart and walked out of his life without a goodbye or a backward glance.

All the resentment and displeasure returned to him and gave him a bitter taste in him mouth. He still remembered that day. It had been a few days before he was set to leave for the UK for his post graduation; he had been trying to call Ananya but she wouldn't answer his call. He had even gone to the extent of contacting her on Facebook, which much to his chagrin and surprise, he found that she had deactivated her account or had simply locked him. Like an idiot he had even tried to contact her through mutual friends but she had remained unavailable. He had also made a desperate attempt to go to her house but it looked empty as all the lights were off.

Finally, it was Samira, who had been a true friend to him. She had been the one to let him know that Ananya had gone to Jaipur where her father was posted and that Ananya indeed hadn't any message to give him. Samaira had also told him that Ananya had said that since he was going abroad for two years, they might as well break up.

His heart had been broken. Until then he hadn't even known what heartbreak felt like but suddenly all those sad songs had taken on a new meaning for him. He was actually surprised to know that he was deeply hurt by Ananya and that a single girl had the power to make a man feel like a loser.

The first few months at Warwick University had been hell. Luckily, he made some good friends who soon filled his days with their cantankerous chatter and foolish plans that he was always happy to participate in. Later, Samaira had joined a nearby university and insisted that he met her on the weekends. Though initially he had complied but later due to his part time job and semester assignments, he had been hard pressed for time so he had said 'no'. That had not gone too well with Samaira who had turned possessive and had started being clingy and had called him all the time. However, after the snafu of his relationship with Ananya, he was wary of romantic relationships and definitely didn't want to date Samaira again.

As his mind went into the 'reminiscing the past' mode, Vikram realized that he had been staring into space and his back had begun to hurt on the couch. He got up and took a deep breath. Since, he had switched off the radiator, the room too had begun to turn cold. He got up and stretched. He looked at his watch, it was 12.50 am. He decided that he needed to sleep. He switched off the lights and he left the room and checked the latches of the main door once again. Vikram opened the curtains of the window and peeked outside. The night was calm with a cloudy sky and ample moonlight scattered through them. He placed the curtains back and made his way up the stairs. He paused briefly in the corridor. He could hear the children's breathing, assuring him that they were fast asleep and Ananya's door was shut, just as she had on his face earlier in the evening.

Despite himself, he chuckled. He liked pushing her buttons. He loved the fire that entered her eyes when he baited her. In the last five years, Ananya had turned out more cynical than he could have ever imagined. She positively hated him. Though, why should she hate him? When she had been the one to break his heart? It was beyond his contemplation. He shook his head in disdain at the thought.

He opened his door and walked to his bed. He slid into his cold bed and looked at the ceiling. Ananya was sleeping next door. He imagined her sleeping in her bed with her nightdress. "Please stop!" he told his mind under his breath but the image amplified. He groaned.

The pale blue cotton one he had seen yesterday when he had pushed open her housecoat. He had not meant to do it, but when she entered his arms, it was like his body had a mind of its own. She had smelt faintly of lavender and a certain part of his anatomy had become hard. When he had pulled her nightdress down her shoulders, he thought he was salivating like a thirty man in the Thar Desert at the sight of water. Her skin was soft and pale and he was in the 7th heaven when he found himself kissing her. The way she had whimpered in his arms had been enough to unravel his desire.

Though he couldn't forget the way she had broken his heart. He had lived through the pain of the betrayal and that hurt pricked him heart once more. He knew he was deliberately being a bastard to her when he had called out her wanton behavior with him, because he was just as interested in kissing her as she had been in that moment to be kissed. But, he wanted to push her away just as she had pushed him all those years ago.

Maybe some things were never meant to work out.

He sighed and turned on his side. He willed his mind to turn blank and prayed for sleep.

***

I profusely apologize for the delay.

I had been traveling (was tired of being at home thanks to Covid!) and have been studying for the NET exam scheduled for June, 2021. 

Will definitely try to be more regular in uploading further chapters!

I hope you enjoy this one! It's Vikram's point of view! :)