Five.

"You could be happy and I won't know, but you weren't happy the day I watched you go. And all the things that I wished I had not said are played in loops 'till it's madness in my head.
Is it too late to remind you how we were? But not our last days of silence, screaming, blur.
Most of what I remember makes me sure; I should have stopped you from walking out the door."

---

The next day at school was altogether wrong.

Aleks hadn't shown up to class that day, per usual. James would have normally found this to be a God send to actually enjoy having a day where he didn't have to constantly look over his shoulder all the time.

Today, Seamus was acting incredibly odd. He had done something; something he shouldn't have. That much, James could obviously tell. He was simply hovering around with guilt in his eyes and throwing around compliments every few minutes, commenting on how nice James looked or how much he liked his shirt.

There had been multiple times where he asked him to drop it and spill whatever he had done. It wasn't like James' life could get that much worse anyway, but Seamus was a wall that wouldn't budge. He would play it off by saying that he was just stressed out about a test he had that day, which James knew was bullshit, and he'd only take it for so long.

He finally snapped when the other boy showed up by his side with a cupcake in hand. He held it to James nervously and he slammed the locker with a groan, taking the peace-offering and studying it.

"Seamus, please, tell me whatever you've done. I mean, it can't be that bad, can it?"

"You're gonna kill me," he whined and looked at James with apologetic eyes as he shifted his weight from foot to foot.

"No, I won't," James pressed while rolling his eyes, "just tell me."

"You promise you won't get mad?"

"Promise," James nodded.

"Okay," Seamus sighed, "well, Aleks hasn't done anything to you for the past few days and I figured.. he's probably planning something, right?"

James felt a shiver cross over his spine and crossed his arms.

"Well.. I was, you know, I was really worried about you, so.."

He trailed off and the other boy's stomach tied in knots as he grew nervous.

"Seamus, what did you do?" His eyes narrowed and he leaned against the wall as he studied the others' appearance.

"I, oh, well.. I may have.. talked to Kevin."

James froze and his stomach caved into his chest as his bones hollowed. He suddenly felt like he was going to get sick. "You didn't."

"I'm so sorry, James," Seamus ran his hand through his hair, "I wanted to protect you."

"By telling Kevin?" James demanded. He glared at Seamus and his face grew pale as his head dropped and he shook his head.

"I'm so sorry, he just needed to know."

"No he didn't!" He exclaimed. "It's my fucking business!"

"James-"

"Leave me alone." He shoved the cupcake back into Seamus' hands and stormed down the corridor. He knew that he was so incredibly screwed. He didn't know if Kevin would be pissed at him or Aleks, or what they were even planning on doing, and he figured that Kevin knowing about Aleks' plans on hurting him would only make things worse.

The other side of the coin would be that Kevin wouldn't be angry at James, but with Aleks. He was protective, he always had been. So what if he went after Aleks? Of course, he wouldn't want his boyfriend to get hurt or in trouble in some situation.