Four.

"I saw you from the bottom of the stairs before you knew I was coming, and though nervous and scared, I lingered on.
I heard most things break by the ends of these types of nights so I'll force upon every word I’ve brushed up on since knowing we wont speak like this again."

---

James traipsed to the bathroom; he shuffled inside quickly and made sure the lock the door behind him before he could finally allow himself to release the breath he's been holding. He's been doing this all night long. 

It was Monday night and Aleks had yet to beat him for not giving up his homework this morning. He'd expected to do it after school, honestly. Seamus had insisted that he drive him home from school, but he had to decline. He figured that it was always better to get it out of the way. Although, as he walked back, Aleks never came. He thought he may find him at the school gate or show up in the narrow path he had to walk through to get to his house. Tonight, there had been nothing. He didn't even see him at all since the fight.

Not that it made him feel any better. In fact, it made him feel much worse. It meant that Aleks was biding his time. Perhaps he was planning something worse than beating him up. The anxiety was driving James over the edge and making the stomach acid in the pits of his body rise up to his throat. That was exactly why he's been spending so much time in the bathroom.

James had been thinking about Aleks much more often lately. He's seen Kevin picking Aleks up in between lectures a handful of times, so he assumed that they were still together after all these years. He knew that he had no intentions of getting back together with Aleks, and that wasn't a problem. Kevin was the problem. 

He couldn't bring himself to relax at all when the thought of Aleks and Kevin together crossed his mind and not when he thought about what they may do to him if Kevin shows up with him tomorrow. He wasn't sure why he had begun to feel this way, but James told himself that it was just because Kevin was the reminder of what Aleks did to him when they were in love. 

That's what he wanted it to be, anyway.

When he was in this state, everything seemed to bother him. Even Seamus was a problem. Maybe he shouldn't have allowed him to say those things to Aleks and he knew that he wasn't trying to hurt him intentionally. It was just the way he was acting.

Ever since the fight this morning, he'd been his usual protective self and checking up on James whenever; even while he was talking or trying to get away from his grasp. It was usually comforting, really, but not today. Not when James had the thought of Aleks and Kevin hanging over his head.

No matter how caring Seamus was being, he couldn't bring himself to enjoy it. Every time he tried to help him or comfort him, it reminded him of how undeserving he was of him and how Aleks used to treat him. 

James was weak. His family didn't really care about him. His ex-boyfriend used him as a punching bag. His religion and his God had bailed on him two years ago. It didn't seem right that Seamus treated him like royalty. 

Not ever since Aleks had left him and not ever since Kevin burned their bridge.

Every single time Seamus would ask him if he was okay tonight, James would be close to tears, because he was keeping so much to himself and preventing himselg from telling the blond boy everything.

He sighed and took a deep breath to calm himself. Then he tried to focus on unlocking the door and leaving the bathroom. He walked down the stairs and back to his room mate who was stretched out on the couch, leaving a typical amount of space. 

James sunk down beside him and hoped to some God that he wouldn't ask him how he was doing or touch his bruises since they were still pretty sore. After all, though, this was Seamus and affection was his thing.