Prologue.

"I think you'll notice when things become different. The good vibes in our lives won't feel so consistent. And less becomes more because the weight is too heavy. I swim in the water that's breaking your levee."

---

He traced his fingers over the border of the smooth wooden picture frame and watched the picture inside.

It was of two boys, young and smiling as if they were having the time of their lives and showed off their wide grins as they held each other. James looked at himself and could hardly believe that it used to be him.

He was different now. Five years different. Long gone was the old, overly religious, James Wilson. As he looked on, he wondered how he had ever been so happy, but then the reason was obvious and it was staring him down. The reason was the eighteen year old boy holding him in the photo; Aleksandr Marchant.

James met Aleks when they were kids still in high school. Just a few easy months together brought them to take this photo. James knew from the first time that he had caught sight of that rebellious boy with the hair hanging over his eyes and the tattoo sleeve that he wanted to befriend him. He knew that they would get on like a house on fire. He assumed that this boy could be the reason why he would be able to unwind from God's grasp and to let go of himself for once, and he was right.

It just took one night together before they were inseperable. One was rarely seen without the other and it continued on like this for almost a year. A year and they were more in love with each other than they could comprehend. James always thought that he would be a great friend, but the day that he thought he could possibly be the one, was the day that he left him. 

His name was Kevin McFarlane and he just screamed trouble. He would always come onto Aleks too strongly and it should have been fine considering that they were best friends, but this wasn't the case. Eventually James had enough, and the Russian openly admited to sleeping around with Kevin while in his current relationship.

This was backed up and he and Kevin fleeted away together just a couple weeks after they had broken up to somewhere that only they knew. Ever since then, James was struggling just to make it through his days, because he's come to realize that he misses the Russian lover more than he had hoped he would.

Aleks was always his first. His first boyfriend, and first relationship, to be exact. His first date, the first person he slept with, and his first kiss.

It's not like James chose to keep Aleks like he did, his intentions were only to befriend him. He just had a charm that casted the Catholic boy under his spell. He had always been raised up by his Preacher Father to believe that homosexuality was a sin and that it was wrong.

One day when he had come over to his house, Aleks had pressed James to try drinking again. At first, he wanted to refuse, but nobody could say no to Aleks. After a few bottles were downed, James had plastured a pout over his face and began to rethink his decisions, and Aleks quickly kissed his lips to make it better.

It worked in the same way that it always would and the boys would laugh and go back to what they were doing. James' father had his assumtions about Aleks, though, and James knew that if he ever found out what they were really doing within the confines of his bedroom that he would immediately dispose of the rebel.

James still remembers the time when he forced him to sit down and they had their conversation about the birds and the bees when he was still in middle school. He also told him how kisses and relationships were only supposed to be shared between a boy and a girl and that two boys should never do that together. He was still young and he didn't think that it was a big deal. So he promised that he wouldn't ever do any of those bad things.

But his mind was warped into believing that it was wrong and how he should never think about other boys in such a manner, but when it came to Aleks, he couldn't help himself. Now, at twenty-three years old, he couldn't care less about if he was going to Hell over this or not.

James and Aleks made a promise of their own, and they established that James was wrong, and that they liked kissing. So they decided that they would still do it, they just would make sure that they weren't caught. They promised to continue as they were and that nobody had to know because it was just between them and it was precious.

From then on, they stole kisses whenever. Whether it be when they were alone at Aleks' house, at night under their blankets, or on their own when they were on dates.

James smiled when he thought about the dates they went on. His favorite location was the time when Aleks got him out of bed at midnight and told him about a pond that he found near his old apartment complex. He was proud of his discovery, and James was proud of him too, so he rewarded him with a peck on the lips.

They spent almost all night there, lounging by the water and talking about the galaxy while holding the other in their arms. It was great, and they had to all to themselves. Other than for the old lady that passed by them while she was walking her dog early the next morning. The boys found her to be nice and Aleksandr shouted her over and asked her to take a picture of them by the river with the camera that he had stolen from his mom, without permission, of course.

She agreed as James smiled into the lens and Aleks wrapped his arms around his waist and held him close just as the moment had been snapped forever.

That was the scene that was captured in the photo. As James examined it, he slowly drifted out of his daydream, and the smile that graced his lips faded as his face fell. The brightness of that morning disappeared and he returned to the bleak white walls of his bedroom. 

He came to feel almost angry as he placed the photo frame face down on his counter. It was too much of a memory and he didn't need to be reminded of Aleks right now.

All of that was over anyway. 

---

"This is your life, there's no way to run from it. The doubt in your brain or the pain in your stomach. I only have one but complaint at the moment: don't paint me black when I used to be golden."

(A/N: I hope that this does well and that everyone enjoys it as much as the enjoyed the prequel (Hold My Hand) so I'm just testing the waters rn. happy 3hundo)