One.

"I'm a honey bee. Breaking your heart, broke mine enough to kill me. I let you feel my sting before my last bittersweet moments of flying.

I thought I heard you say something about being undeserving, but this time not of a love so great, but of pain inflicted so selfishly."

---

Casting a glance out the window, James sighed. It was another dreary day as rain fell miserably over the streets. He, unlike Aleks, never left Colorado and chose to stay close to home, it was where he belonged. So after he finished high school, he moved from his home town of Denver to Fort Collins so he could attend Colorado State University. He bought a medium-sized apartment with Seamus, who later became his room mate and best friend, and that was where he's been living for the past four years.

He quickly stepped away and left his bedroom, taking that stairs two at a time to arrive in the kitchen. It was empty apart from himself, as always. James preferred online courses rather than sitting in drawn out lectures, unlike Seamus who wanted the 'full-college-experience' as he put it. All that was there was a small note left on the counter with scribbed handwriting that read;

'Remember to lock the door.'

James rolled his eyes in frustration. No, 'have a good day' or 'try and eat something', nothing. He had gotten so involved in Aleks' love for him and the way that he always woke up to a morning reminder that he always assumed that he should recieve the same from Seamus. He's gotten used to it by now, though. It's been this way for as long as they've been moved in together. 

It didn't matter all that much to him since he knew that he shouldn't miss something that would have just run miles away from him as soon as the ugly truth had been discovered. Aleks was never one for commitment. It did hurt, though, how James took it. It was almost the end of him and the only way he knew how to get through it was by working.

He was just like his father who had never really been there for him either. The day that James turned nineteen was the day that he moved to Fort Collins to attend college and he's barely even spoken to him since.

The attribute that seemed to rub off on him was that he had to work to keep himself sane and his father was always so into working on the church that he never had time for James. He wasn't his biological dad and James wasn't surprised that this was how things turned out. 

He would take all the time that he had to stay at his beloved church, and at one point kept James cooped up there, too. He told himself that he was doing it because he 'loved the Lord' and because it was bringing them income, but they both knew that James didn't care about the church and that he was lying when he said that he liked being there.

The only good thing that building ever had on his life was when he met Aleks and the others while working late shift one night. Now that he thinks about it, maybe it wasn't as great as he's been telling himself all this time.

His father worked to fill another void within himself. Apparently James wasn't enough to do that for him. The two had grown incredibly distant and every time he would go to him to visit for a holiday or birthday, it was like speaking with a stranger. Even now he still hasn't come out to his father because he knows that when he does, he'll resent him and they'll fall even more apart. It would also probably leave another blow to him.

How ironic it would be for a Catholic Preacher to have a gay son?

It wasn't so bad a while ago when James still had him. The eighteen year old James would come downstairs every morning to find that his dad had already left that morning to set things up for his sermon of the day.