8.

Leighton Adams

"I'll have your cannoli and coffee over to you in just a few, Ms. Adams." Beckett winked as his eyes trailed over to the booth where Bryson was sitting. I nodded with a slight smile before I walked over to the booth and sat across from Bryson.

"You're leaving me for the walking Prozac over there, aren't you?" Bryson grimaced as his eyes never left Beckett. I contorted my face in disgust at the words that just left his mouth. 

"His name is Beckett, and you're an asshole." I snapped as I stared at Bryson's face, his eyes gleaming with slight darkness behind them.

"I don't care what the hell his name is, Leighton. What does your mom have to say about this?" He spoke, his face stoic and cold. God, he's a prick. Why the hell did I choose him as my distraction.. He stared into my eyes and they darkened even more. At this point I don't know if he truly loves me or if he's upset to lose the status that follows my name.. 

"I actually had a conversation with her today, and she's the one who told me to end things with you." I spoke quietly, my voice trailing off as I glanced over to Beckett who was at the bakery counter smiling while handing an older lady her pastry. A bright smile laid smoothly on his face as he began having a conversation with the lady.

"That bullshit!" He shouted at me causing me to jump and people to turn back and stare as his hands slammed against the table. "Your mom loves me and wants us to stay together, you know that!" He continued, a fire in his eyes as he stared back to me. I shook my head.

"She just wants me happy and you don't do that.. She told me to break things off with you.." I spoke slowly scared that things will escalate further. 

"Whatever Leighton, I knew I shouldn't of even tried to have a relationship with you when it has always been blatantly obvious that you're in love with bean pole. " He hissed at me as he glared at Beckett who was watching us intently.

"I am truly sorry Bryson, but he isn't why I'm ending things with you, just look how you act.. and then there's the fact that I don't even know if you love me or my name.." I spoke as I looked down to the picked nail polish on my nails. I heard footprints approaching and then a vanilla cannoli and a coffee with cream was placed on the table in front of me and Beckett smiled.

"Is everything okay over here? Can I get you guys anything?" Beckett spoke politely as he placed his hands behind his back. Before I could utter a word, Bryson was lunging from the booth and his fist collided into Beckett's cheekbone and my coffee was slung onto the floor. Beckett's tall frame took a few steps back and looked at Bryson, his eyes filled with rage. My hand flew to my mouth as I sat back scared of the scene unfolding. 

"Please leave before I call the cops.. yelling at Leighton was enough and you did what you came here for." Beckett spoke slowly as a small cut on his cheekbone began bleeding, the rage in his eyes still present but him trying to maintain his composure. 

"You're supposed to fight back?" Bryson shouted, confusion lining his voice. Beckett shook his head as he let out a deep breath.

"No, I'm not. There is no point, I don't feel like sitting in a jail cell because you're unhappy that a beautiful girl broke up with you because she is trying to make herself happy. She deserves to be happy man, and we both know that." Beckett shrugged as he walked back towards the counter. Tears were streaming down my cheeks from guilt. 

"Bye, Leighton. I'm sorry, tell West I said that too please.. You do deserve better and I'm glad he sees that.." Bryson spoke as he grabbed his coat and left the bakery. A few moments later Beckett came and sat across from me and slid my notebook over to me.