An Unexpected Discovery

Gandalf's POV

"It's just the usual summary of out-of-pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements, so forth." Balin says, watching Bilbo examine the contract reading it word for word.

"Funeral arrangements?" Bilbo questions after opening the contract and realises how long it is. "Ooh." He says in slight shock and surprise.

"I cannot guarantee his safety." Thorin leans over, whispering to me while the others focus on Bilbo. Looking back over to the hobbit.

"Understood." I replied. I know no one will be able to promise he will be safe or unharmed or that he will even return home at all.

"Nor will I be responsible for his fate." He adds still in a low tone so that no other hears.

"Agreed." I assure him it is Bilbo's decision if he comes along and my responsibility if he is harmed as I chose him.

"Total's cash on delivery, up to but not exceeding, one fourteenth of total profit if any. Seems fair." Bilbo mumbles to himself, agreeing with curtain parts along the way, reading parts of the contract out loud to himself.

"Hence thereof, including, but not limited to...lacerations. Evisceration." His eyes widen at this and he turns to the dwarves with a scared look at him. "Incineration?"

"Oh, aye, he'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye." Bofur says without realising he is frightening the poor hobbit.

"You alright, laddie?" Balin questions the hobbit wobbling a bit.

"Huh? Yeah, I feel a bit faint." Bilbo stutters, placing his hands on his knees breathing heavily.

"Think, furnace, with wings." Bofur continues. At this point I'm quite sure it is on purpose.

"I...I...I need air." Being scared by the continuation of Bofur, Bilbo started getting even more pale.

"Flash of light, searing pain, then poof! You're nothing more than a pile of ash!" Bofur says no care for what Bilbo is feeling

"No." Bilbo says as he stands up then faints.

"Oh, very helpful, Bofur." I say to Bofur sarcastically. It is just now I realise the princess is standing behind a wall listening to the entire conversation. I already know what she is thinking. Even if Bilbo does not join us she will, whether the others realise or not. Excusing myself I head over to the young girl I helped all those years ago.

"My Lady?" I say to her, making her jump a small bit. She must have been off in one of her little worlds. "I had not expected you to be here. After your brothers arrived I had assumed you would have hit the road, but seeing as you still stay you plan to accompany your family to reclaim your home? Whether they know you are there or not."

"Just because they think I'm dead does not mean I am going to ignore the fact that they are my family. I may be afraid and ashamed that I have not found them in the fifty years I have been searching, but I will no doubt make sure they are safe and unharmed." She says looking longingly at her younger brothers and uncle. Sighing she goes to turn around back to her bedroom for the night.

"I can not help but notice that you did not even spare a glance at your beloved, M'Lady. Why is this? He loves you and I know you still love him based on the fact you still have his braid woven in your hair." I say making her stiffen then slouching, hanging her head. Subconsciously her hand raises to her head wrapping around the braid and the bead Dwalin wove into her hair all those decades ago.

"He has expected that I am gone. What would happen if I returned now? I know he will not take me back. I have to accept my fate as he has his. I will never let them know I am alive just because Balin figured it out does not mean I will allow the rest of them to. I won't put them through that." And with that she disappeared.

'If only she knew'