Prologue

Intro

Sitting on the city bus wasn't so bad. I could hear many conversations, mainly ones that started with how bad someone was broke to different stories of how long it took for another's family to make it out of the bad side of town. I would generally get a kick out of the story before something caught my attention...a fool texting me about some old 'want-some-booty shit' and I didn't know how to cut them off.

Germane 'Big-lo" Bawnsdale was his name, but we called him Mane. This mother-fucker had a tool that would keep you screaming from pop to end and eat game like no-other but I hated the fuck out of him. He'd always disrespect and act like I couldn't get better but he had another thing coming. I was working on getting this promotion for a little tattoo-hair shop I'd been faithful to stay in with its ups and downs in business, staff and sales. Hell, I was there from the jump and my boy Dino, he started it. At first was my friendly advice but then my ideas made boy popular. He had to put me in on it and we didn't miss a beat on any bills for months since I was helping.

The sound of the bus stop always gave me chills. This thing was older than me, I know. Standing up, I gathered my design bag and lunch heading out. The smell of 'Old Spice' on some old dude had me gag. Shit, I hated the smell of strong cologne. It needed to be smooth like wine and sweet like 'Keith Sweat's voice on a rainy Saturday night.

Waiting for me as I stepped off the bus was my boy Dino. He was sporting the latest gear, as always and a huge smile to match it. "Girl what's up!?" He greeted.

I felt the shrug before I could even tell him about the nasty 'Old Spice' man and lame conversations the entire twenty minutes to work. He pulled me in for a tight hug making sure I got the gist of his bulging manhood below. Dino tried to keep up with my shenanigans but I feared they were getting old. Boss snoozing wasn't my game. Somewhere during the entire business journey I forgot that I was the one giving him the ideas. I guess it was the fact he was forking over the big checks week after week and the customers treated him like he was a damn movie star.

"Nothin' fool. Let's go before the rain mess up my hair," I replied. "It took me forever to get my edges laid just right this morning."

He could have picked me up but he had to open shop. He never made me walk though and he paid bus fare and that was decent enough minus the cut I was taking in pay. I made a better-than-average twelve dollars an hour and I agreed until things got better...only thing is, things had been better for a while---so I assumed.

"You look disturbed." he glanced at me after I got into his customized 1999 Lexus GS300. It was spotless and full of gadgets he'd got from different parts of the world and Amazon.

I rolled my eyes not meaning to. I hated his ass for the smart remarks after such a nice introduction. Dino had a way about him that made you want to smack the fuck out of him because that mouth or hug him to death because of his big heart. My cousin Pam died and he was there through thick and thin of it. Wake and all, I couldn't ask for a better roll-dog. "No nigga...I'm fine. Just tired of the rain, it's been going on too long."

"I hate yo' ass Sheri!" he popped off before I could tell him again how much I hated the dreary weather. I felt my hand twitch. He was about to get that back hand I was speaking on earlier. I saw that shit like a late Sunday night movie.

"What's your problem, D?" I glared at him a moment before realizing how much it will bring my ass worry marks later.

"My problem is the fact that I've known you for years and still...you hide shit! I'm tired of it. If you want to be all brand-new and fucking closed up---find you someone else to tell your problems to!"

D' had a problem with snapping off at the wrong time. I wasn't the one to play games. Momma always told me to use my gift effectively. The one I held near to my heart.

This one was stronger than anything I've ever felt.