10

When Mariam arrived home from work one chilly evening, there was strange young man with outlandish red hair knocking - or rather abusingly kicking at her door. "Open the damn door!" He shouted.

Mariam, started as she is, began rummaging in her bag for something sharp to defend herself with. It was at this time that Mariam realized she needed to invest in some pepper spray at the very least.

Peering into her disorganized bag, her choices were between a rat-tailed comb, or a plastic fork. Deciding that the plastic fork might not last, Mariam opted for the comb.

"E-excuse me!" She hid the comb in the sleeve of her thick sweater.

The young man glanced at her with striking green eyes. "Oh, don't mind me." He resumed beating against her poor door once again. "Get out here so I can kill you, bastard!"

Mariam fiercely gripped her comb. "That's m-my apartment!"

"What?" The male exclaimed in confusion. He looked at the number on her door. "One sixty... One sixty-two? The hell..." He ran a hand through his messy hair, face scrunched in a puzzled expression. "You know a guy named Luke?"

Mariam blinked, twice. "L-Luke?" Her eyes narrowed suspiciously, causing the boy to quirk a brow at her curiously. "Who are y-you and... And what do you want with Luke?" She revealed the end of her comb, clutching on to it tightly. As much as she tried to appear firm and unafraid, Mariam tried to quell her fear. She's never hurt anyone before and does not intend to.

"Whoa! Hey, wait a second!" His eyes widened as she shuffled closer, point the comb at him. "I'm Michael! Luke's friend!"

"Stupid." A familiar voice behind Mariam had her spinning around to find a nonchalant Luke. He sighed and shook his head.

Michael frowned and pointed at Mariam accusingly. "Who is that? New girl already?"

Mariam hesitantly put her make shift weapon down.

"She's my neighbor," Luke answered. He walked passed Marian and towards his friend.

"She's was going to stab me!" Michael whined, gesturing to Mariam's comb.

Luke looked at Mariam, who's cheeks bean to redden in embarrassment. He found it quite amusing. "We're you going to stab him?"

"I - I... He w-was kicking my door and screaming that he was going to kill you!" She squeaked in defense.

Michael huffed. "Way to pick 'em Hemmo. Frickin' crazy." Mariam furrowed her brows in offense and held back up her comb. He flinched back.

Luke rolled his eyes and hit his friend in the head. "Get in, asshole." Michael flipped him off and entered Luke's apartment, mumbling incoherently.

"Sorry..." Mariam mumbled, busying herself by searching for her keys.

"Were you going to kill him for me, dork?" Luke asked, leaning against the wall. He made sure to emphasize for me.

Mariam fumbled with her keys, mentally scolding herself for having so many key chains. "I... I wasn't going to k-kill him."

"Comb his hair then?" Luke pressed, his lips quirking up in amusement.

Mariam attempted to hide her face by hunching her shoulders as the taller man pushed himself off the wall and approached her. "I..." She made the mistake of glancing at him and failing to hold his curious gaze. "I don't k-know."

"Hm." He smirked, lifting a pierced brow. Mariam turned away just as she found the right key and hastily opened her door.

She mustered her best frown. "I just - I just wanted to help, sorry."

This time she closed the door on him.