PROLOGUE: CONFESSION UNDER PRESSURE

(Cover by Nebulace on Instagram)

Oh, Link... What was I going to do with you...?

Three years had already passed since the combined effort of Hyrule's forces had faced the Calamity Ganon and claimed victory. Since then, people from all the land's corners had joined together to rebuilding our world that nearly had been devastated by the vile darkness of that faithful day. A day that none of us would ever forget. Even after the passing of such time, many tasks were still at hand to restore our beloved land. The damage from the Calamity had been far greater than we had expected. Yet, seeing how we had overcome such ordeal, we were up to the challenge.

Since that faithful day, I had overseen many responsibilities to restore Hyrule. While Father had helped, he had slowly left me the freedom of the kingdom's leadership. And I had welcomed that challenge. "I can do this, Father!" I had told him for every task at hand. He had smiled every time to those words and replied, "I know, my daughter." I had felt strong and confident of the steps that all of us had accomplished. One among them had been the return of the Yiga Clan into the Sheikahs. While Master Kohga had made it clear that they would retain their independence, their attire's color returned to their original allegiance. With the fall of the calamity and their prophet Astor's betrayal, their previous reason to be was no more.

A few months ago, my 20th birthday had been celebrated. While it had been a great opportunity to cheer the third anniversary of Ganon's defeat, most among us decided to focus on the more positive matter of that day. On usual circumstances, Hyrule's Castle Town would had been in festivities for at least a week. But alas, the destruction and pain caused in that time had left heavy scars on the population. And those were still mending. And so, just like the two previous years, I had only desired my loved ones' presences for the occasion. With so many things left to do before we could erase any trace of the Calamity's passage, displaying a grand banquet would had felt ill-intended. With the towers still being operational, it was easy for them to come over. Daruk, Revali, Urbosa, Mipha and her younger brother Sidon, along with Robbie, Purah, Impa, Terrako and Father were present for the occasion. Oh, and of course Link. The invitation had been extended to Master Kohga, but he had declined it. However, he had sent me a great catalogue titled 101 Superb Banana Recipes as a gift. I had gone through a few pages and had been tempted to try some recipes myself.

Joy, laughter, drinking, and music had been at the rendezvous. While our assemblage was small, I honestly preferred my birthday celebrations as such. Father had retired early from our little celebration to bed and let us "younger folk" feast. I had received so many beautiful gifts. And yet... the one gotten from Link had been timeless. Being the last one to deliver his present, all eyes around us had made him incredibly nervous. He had suggested to give it privately, but a funny and bold comment from Revali had forced him to change his mind. He reluctantly had given me a small blue box tied by a beautiful white ribbon. Upon opening it, time had stopped as gasping wonder had stricken my friends and I in awe. Laid on a white cushion had been a fine gold necklace carrying a small pendant. Made of gold, sapphire, jade, and diamond, that pendant had been the shape of my favorite flower, the silent princess.

While all of us had been left without words, I had known the real significance of such item. I had recalled the heat risen onto my cheeks. Link had been worse; he had barely contacted my own gaze. Urbosa had suggested him to lace it around me. He had been taken aback by the idea, hesitating almost. He had timidly nodded to me asking of my permission. Of course, I had accepted. Nevertheless, I felt that we had been put on a stage with pressuring eyes. I had pulled my hair away and welcomed him to put his gift around me. He had finished with haste. I had looked and cherished at the preciousness. It had left me speechless, yet I had thanked him more than once. He had taken a small step towards me, and I felt that he had wanted to say or do something else. Embracing me in his arms, perhaps. I would have had welcomed it. But his hesitance had won the best of him. He had ended up bowing clumsily before storming out of the room. Revali had not missed that opportunity to make fun of him.

Today, here I was, a few months later, with things being more than awkward between the two of us. I regretted ever since then not giving him the privacy that he needed on my birthday. He must have thought I toyed with his heart. Poor Link...

I was in love with him. As I reminisced, I could tell that his heart yearned for mine as well. The calendar's time showed that I was a week away from his birthday. This time, I wanted to express my love to him. But alas, after that grand gift of his, I had absolutely no idea what to give him.

Oh, Link... What was I going to do with you...?