CHAPTER 01: THE HEART LOVED BY THE PRINCESSES

The restoration of the kingdom was going smoothly. Before the event of the Calamity, I had so many doubts and worries plaguing on my insecurities. But after awakening my powers, it was as if those heavy stones were lifted from my being. I felt free and determined. I had asked myself if I had it all to become the next ruler of Hyrule or not. With the efforts I had deployed since our victory, I almost did not recognize myself. My father was willingly letting me take the lead and the results were stunning. Perhaps that he saw that I would soon be ready to wear the mantle of queen.

Alas, despite my great work, every person needed to rest. As wise, determined, and strong I had become, I was no exception. My father and Impa advised me to take the next two weeks for recuperating. I agreed with them. The timing was perfect anyhow. It would allow me to accomplish two things. The first; spending more time with Link. In terms of his presence, he was still my assigned knight. Wherever I went, he was there. The issue with this matter was the lost of our privacy. I had been so busy throughout the kingdom, yet the moments we used to have with just the two of us were scarce. It was as if he had become a mere decoration walking by my side constantly. I had more interaction with Terrako than I had with him. And ever since my last birthday, guilt still lingered in me for not giving him the deserved privacy. I wanted to repair that. The other thing I wanted to accomplish during such resting time was finding the perfect present for him. After his gift, I wanted mine to be just as meaningful. And I had seven days to figure out what.

But before that, I needed to be certain of something.

***

I was officially on leave for the next two weeks. I felt lighter that I could enjoy myself for some time. My first decision was to visit a dear friend at Zora Domain. Link and I stood outside, next to the tower near Hyrule Castle. Purah and Impa were there as well to attend my departure. As I was about to go, I was surprised that Terrako did not want to make the quick voyage with us.

"You're not coming, Terrako?" My little guardian waved its head. I kneeled in front of it. "Why not?"

"That's a first!" Impa noticed. "That thing would usually follow you to the jaws of death."

Purah knelt next to me, humming with her hand under her chin. "Perhaps a faulty bug in its programming?"

Terrako waltzed itself behind Link and pushed him delicately towards me. He was surprised as well about such behavior. It then repeated the act, but to me. Link and I stood facing each other, an almost non-existent distance separating us and our faces heating up by the proximity. Terrako looked at us and nodded in glee, all the while Impa dressed a surprised look. Purah nodded in agreement, but her eyes and her smile had a rather naughtier definition.

"I'm in very agreement with you, Terrako," she said. "I think it's a good opportunity to let these two have a long-deserved alone time."

"Wait, what?" Impa was shocked.

Terrako once again responded positively, while my face and Link's rose to a new shade of crimson. A part of me was not surprised on its respond. Almost every night before bed, I would tell Terrako of my day, my joys, my worries, and... about Link. Everything about him. And that entailed on how much I loved him. While I appreciated the kindness, the embarrassment that came along was not making things any better for Link and myself.

I hooked my arm with Link's. It surprised him.

"W-Well, I bid you a good and beautiful day everyone!" I activated the teleportation with the sheikah slate before further questions were asked.

***

"I-I'm really sorry, Link." I quickly let go of his arm as we arrived in Zora territory. "I just..."