CHAPTER 04: THE BIRTHDAY WISH

Picnic basket: check. Ceremony dress remodeled into a summer dress: check. Special gift for Link's birthday: triple check. All was set!

I glanced at myself in the tall mirror. I wore the remodeled version of the ceremonial dress and I was surprised of my sewing skills. I didn't think the result would be so lovely. I wore a small blue blouse over it; the combination was glamorous. I turned around, spun a little bit to see the all-around elegance of my outfit. It was perfect.

"What do you think?" I asked Terrako. It responded gleefully. That reassured me.

A knock on my door was heard. "Zelda, are you there my dear?" My father asked.

"Yes, just a second, Father!" I walked to the door to answer him.

My father entered my room and wished me a pleasant morning by embracing me. That was one of the many wonders from him that I would never cease to love. He was taken aback from my current allure, smiling with admiration and pride.

"My, my! You look splendid, my daughter!"

I giggled to the compliment. "Thank you, Father!"

"Am I to understand that this is all for a certain sir knight's birthday?"

"Oh, I..." Just hearing these words was enough to make me blush. "You know, I presume?"

"Well, it is the same date as of every year, after all." His humor replied. That was silly of me to even asked. "Also, you tend to whisper your thoughts more vocally than you think when you are within your own world."

I couldn't help but laugh at my silly flaws. I was thankful that I never said anything embarrassing out loud during one of those self-conversations of mine.

"You really love him, do you?" My father brought the question with a tender smile.

I paused as a new wave of heat came over me. A lot of these have been happening when it came to Link. Just saying that I loved him wouldn't be enough to describe my heart's content. But yes, I did love him. Yet, I hadn't told him those magical words, neither did he to me. But the certainty of our hearts knew that we attracted each other. The night that we spent in each other's arms was a beautiful proof of that. I still recalled the protective warmth that laced me and how so many layers of affection and love was embedded in it.

I was to answer to my father's question, but he raised his hand as a sign to stop.

"On second thought, I believe this question is best to be answered to him, and not me."

"I certainly will." I nodded happily with conviction. "Oh, I'm sorry. I let myself talk and never asked if you needed anything."

"Oh, nothing at all. Just an old man wishing a good day to his beloved daughter."

"Oh, Father." I smiled.

His warm hands laid on my shoulders and he offered me an intense gaze of care and love; it was accompanied with long seconds of silence. Terrako looked at us. Just like it, I was also quizzical about my father's gesture.

"Father?" I finally said.

"The way that I have witnessed both of your efforts over the course of the recent years," he started, "I am so proud of you and Link. I know that our beautiful land of Hyrule can have a prosperous and wondrous future with the two of you standing tall for it."

The lovely words were appreciated, but they frightened me suddenly. It almost felt like a goodbye's prelude. My expression changed and I held my father's hands in apprehension.

"Father, are you well?" Worry carpeted my voice. "Please tell me you're not ill and dying!"

His eyes were surprised, but his laughter enveloped the atmosphere. "Oh, daughter! I am as dying as a healthy and newborn horse! I'm sorry if my words sounded too gloomed and dramatic. I assure you; I am exceptionally fine."