CHAPTER 03: THE THREE MISCHIEF MAKERS

While we had our own fair share of fun the other day, I believed that "Miss Zel" wouldn't make another reappearance for quite some time. After I had visited Link and bid him a good night, I had predicted that this night would be cold and lonely; I was, alas, correct on the matter. I hid it well from him, but I was anxious to hold him against me like this beautiful night.

On another subject, ever since my farce's failed attempt, things had been quite well between us. To be fair, we already had a great chemistry. But that night, during our embrace, it enabled a new layer in our bond to be formed. Link wasn't bothered anymore if I hooked my arm to his. And we seemed more at ease when we were in each other's personal space. Perhaps that night managed to bring down an unseen wall between us. Nevertheless, it was charming to see Link even more carefree than usual.

I took the opportunity of my resting days to go and visit Purah and Robbie in their laboratory alongside Link. This dynamic duo was always working on extraordinary devices. As I arrived, they were already excited to show me some new prototypes. Based on the sheikah slate, they came up with a new design of a wristband on which a small screen was attached to, and with added functions. Another one we've discussed was one who possessed a modulator capable of heating. I added my perspective on how it would be efficient in its usefulness in warming homes. Our discussion extended for a long time as we talked and worked on all sorts of matters. We let our ideas flew into our scientific creativity. Even Terrako participated with us in our work. This was really an area in which I loved diving into. I always felt that I bore more the mantle of scholar than princess. And I always experienced such an intellectual joy when coming here. It was one of those unique places where I truly felt home.

We absolutely didn't see time go by. We saw the light of the sun setting and the dawn of the stars. We congratulated and cheered each other for the fun work and idea-storming that we had during this day. It wasn't every day that I had the chance to have long hours basked in scientific amusement. I thanked Robbie and Purah, they asked me to consider coming here every single day. That would be thrilling!

I headed towards the door to exit their laboratory. As I was coming closer to it, a familiar figure was sitting quietly and waiting for me. I gasped and covered my mouth, shock taking me over for two reasons. The first; I recognized this person. The second, I had completely neglected his existence while I had all my fun with Terrako, Purah and Robbie. As a matter of fact, I had completely forgotten that he had come here today with me.

"Link!" He innocently waved his hand. "Oh, goodness!"

I grabbed his arm and pulled him outside the building. All the while I was enjoying myself, he stood here without complaining. Oh, I felt so awful!

"I am so, so, so sorry!" Horrible and shameful guilt took me. "I was so deep in our experiments that I completely forgot about you. You completely slipped my mind! Oh, Link...! There's no excuse for what I did!"

I felt so selfish and horrible, regarding of the treatment I gave him today. He kept saying that it was okay, that he enjoyed seeing me amused and entertained. But... what about him? He didn't get to do anything of his choosing. And while yes, I did have my fun for the day, I didn't get to spend some time with just the two of us.

Oh, how selfish of me...

Link and I had dinner together, and I kept apologizing all evening long. He insisted that it was all right. But it wasn't for me. And I knew somehow that he felt left behind.

I lied in my bed, unable to rest nor sleep. I kept thinking of how I left Link behind as such. Why was it that when everything was going along between the two of us, something like this would have to make things complicated, or awkward, or even embarrassing? While I felt guilty of the treatment that I gave him, I had two choices. The first one; keep walking on that path and feeling sorry for myself. The second; doing something for his sake.