four

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽ the reaper ☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The Just King of Narnia was all tuckered out. They barely spent a day in the place they had longed to go back to since they returned to their own world after Caspian's coronation, and Edmund already found himself behind bars on an island called Narrowhaven. Caspian explained the purpose and possibilities of his reconnaissance journey, and Edmund was by his side without hesitation to support the new king. The feeling was familiar, even though Caspian wasn't his biological brother, he felt the same way when Peter became Narnia's High King. Edmund would have trusted him with anything at any time and willingly done anything for him.

"You all right?" Caspian tore the boy away from his thoughts after noticing that he won back his consciousness. Edmund was fighting the guards who were taking him to the dungeons so doggedly that they ended up knocking him out.

"Yeah."

After Edmund's answer, Caspian continued doing what he was doing while his friend was out cold. He kept attempting to kick down the cell door, unsuccessfully.

"It's hopeless," a raspy voice of an old man interrupted the failed attempts. The two kings both turned their attention to the source of the voice, squinting to see anything in the dark and mysterious corner of the cell. "You'll never get out."

"Who's there?" Caspian asked as he and Edmund slowly walked closer to the man.

"Nobody. Just a voice in my head," he responded, and his dark silhouette became more and more visible to the royals.

Caspian watched the old man's face as his features became clear in the faint light that escaped between the bars of the window of the cells. "Lord Bern?" he recognised the man after a few short seconds, how could he not, after spending so many hours studying the friends of his father.

"Perhaps once, but I'm no longer deserving of that title," Lord Bern trembled, his memories flowing like the bright blue waters of the sea.

Edmund eyed the old man before stepping closer to them, questioning, "is he one of the seven?"

Lord Bern stared at the young man in front of him, and all of a sudden, as if something clicked in his brain, he reached out to touch Caspian's face. "Your face. You remind me of a king I once loved well," he gave a voice to his thoughts.

A soft smile crept on Caspian's face at his words. "That man was my father," he said.

"Oh, my lord. Please forgive me," Lord Bern tried to bow as quickly as possible but Caspian grabbed his arms to help him up.

"No, please," the King told the old man.

Edmund watched them from a few steps away until the increasing sound of a commotion hit his ear from outside. He stepped to the window opening and pulled himself up so he could see the outside world. He had to shut his eyes from the sudden bright light. As he opened them, a heartbreaking scene was revealed to him. He saw a carriage filled with people, their hands tied. It was a sad sight that they seemed to be inundated with hopelessness. Behind the carriage was a man, followed by a little girl. Edmund soon realised the mother was sitting on the carriage and was moving further away from her family despite their opposition. The Just King noticed Caspian following his example, looking at the sad departure, squeezing the bars of the window.