Chapter 3

"Some conversation you were having with Immanuel at the bar Friday night."

Winona was sitting in the lounge, sipping on her morning coffee and scrolling through the news when she was interrupted. She tried not to scowl as she looked at the man who had been responsible for the interruption, but it was impossible when she saw the smirk on his face. "It's just like you to stick your nose where it doesn't belong while getting handsy with my best friend. What's new going on in Bradley Fischer's life?"

He chuckled, amused by her little outburst. "Janet, was it? She's not your friend. And for the record, it was her who was getting handsy. Not that I minded, of course."

She glared at him and picked up her mug before dumping the coffee into the sink. She suddenly couldn't stomach the caffeine, nor could she stand to be around him any longer. "It's a shame you haven't changed."

"Everything alright, Winona?" Kyrie asked upon entering the lounge. He looked between the woman who was obviously irritated and the man with a grin on his face. Something about that picture didn't sit right with him.

"Everything is great," she told him, forcing a smile. He knew it was a lie, but she would maintain it regardless of his concern. "I was just heading to my office. Excuse me."

Kyrie waited until Winona had exited the lounge before addressing Bradley. "You aren't giving my assistant director any trouble, are you?"

"Of course not, boss," Bradley said, grinning. "We were just catching up, joking about the old times. You know how it goes."

"I didn't hear her laugh." Kyrie's expression immediately wiped the smile off Bradley's face. "If I have to open another investigation, you won't get a chance to face the board."

"Is that a threat?"

"It's a verbal warning," he told Bradley. "I'll also document this for HR."

"Knock, knock. I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

Kyrie brushed both his hands down his shirt, composing himself before turning to greet the voice. Tina was standing in the doorway with her arms circled around a brown paper bag. She had a smile on her face, but it faltered when she realized she had walked in at a bad time.

"I can come back," she said, waving at the two men.

"If you're looking for Immanuel, he's in his office," Kyrie informed her. He had spoken so roughly with her that she wasn't sure how to react.

"I'm aware, but I wanted to drop some breakfast off for the whole team." She set the paper bag on the counter and then stepped into the hallway, distancing herself from the two men. "Help yourselves to some bagels. I'll see you around, Kyrie."

With those words, she turned on her heel to cross the lobby, entering the hall dedicated to staff offices. Immanuel's door was situated near the end of the hall and wide open. He was finishing a conversation on the phone when Tina appeared in the doorway with a wide grin.

He licked his lips, impressed by the bronze pillar legs underneath her peacoat. Her lips were colored a vibrant shade of lipstick, and her long waves were pinned back, exposing her smooth neck. Daringly, Tina untied the strap around her coat, exposing her black set of lace lingerie.

"It looks like my calendar is booked today," Immanuel said into the receiver. "How about I give you a call in twenty minutes to discuss your concerns some more, Mr. Bennet?"

"Only twenty minutes?" she murmured, shaking her head in dismay. She closed the door and locked it behind her, offering them the space to be alone. She strutted over to his desk, propped herself on top of the glass surface, and wrapped his tie around her hand, pulling him closer to her.