Chapter 13

Immanuel stood on the elevator landing with his hand in his pocket and a bouquet of flowers in the other, anticipating the moment Winona would appear behind the doors. But as the minutes continued to tick closer to 6:00, the more his fear that she wouldn't show grew. Every time the elevator doors opened, he expected to see her caramel legs, hourglass figure and deep brown eyes staring him down. Unfortunately, none of the strangers he encountered were her.

After some time on his feet, he decided to look at the time on his watch. It read 6:17. Not enough time had passed for him to give up, so he returned to the lobby and sat down on the couch facing the elevator. He wanted to give Winona more time before calling it a night.

"Are these for me?" she asked, appearing in front of him.

Confused, he looked at the elevator where he had expected her to make her entrance and then at the woman casting a shadow over him. He nodded and then handed her the bouquet.

"You're here," he said, kissing her cheek.

She smiled. She had anticipated that he would be in the lobby, watching the elevator, so she took the elevator on the other side of the resort to surprise him. She was pleased at her success.

"I'm here." She wrapped her small hand around his arm and pulled him near, breathing in the scent of his cologne. "Are you happy?"

She was gazing up at him, patiently awaiting his response. He took a moment to appreciate the effort she had put into her appearance. She was wearing a white wrap dress with a plunging neck line. Her nude stilettos made her stand a few inches taller, and her dark red lipstick only enticed him. She had only applied makeup to enhance her natural beauty, and although he didn't believe she needed it, he knew he was staring at the most beautiful creature to ever exist.

"I'm very happy," he told her, kissing the back of her hand this time. When she giggled, he couldn't help the grin from appearing on his face. Her joy was infectious. "Come with me, peach. I have something to show you."

Winona followed him through the lobby. Even with their hands intertwined, she found it difficult to keep up with him, but she knew he was just impatient to get to their destination. As they practically raced through the resort, she gained the overwhelming need to slow down and enjoy him for as long as possible. So, she stopped, dropping the bouquet on the floor.

When Immanuel felt her completely halt, he turned to her, concerned. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head and opened her arms to him. "Kiss me, Immanuel. I need to know this is real."

He smiled and pinned her to the wall, capturing her lips. He was reminded of the first time he tasted her. He had wanted to explore her mouth and feel more of her soft skin, but he was only allowed that quick taste. Now, he had been granted permission to do as he pleased. He dragged his hands through her hair and pulled her closer, forcing an involuntary moan out of her as he trailed kisses down her neck and into her cleavage. When her fingers moved over his abdomen, inching closer to his throbbing cock, he grabbed both hands and pinned her to the wall.

"Naughty you," he said in his deep and husky voice. "What are you doing?"

She smirked, biting into her lip as she looked down at the bulge in his pants. "I want a taste."

Surprised, he followed her gaze. When he realized what she was requesting, he ruefully smiled. "We haven't even had dinner yet."

"I don't care."

"I do," he told her, clicking his tongue in dismay. "Be patient, peach. We still have the whole night."

She tried not to show the disappointment she felt as she reluctantly followed him to the pool doors. They were shut with a sign that read 'Closed until 9:00 A.M.', but Immanuel completely disregarded it and entered anyway.

She tried to protest as he entered the restricted area, but she was silenced by the string quartet that had started playing from the gazebo. She hadn't even seen them out there. Immanuel continued past the pool to the garden where a table had been set for two. A man stepped out of the shadows to pour the wine, and Winona figured it was a waiter who would be present through dinner.

"You did this?" she asked Immanuel. When he nodded, she threw her arms around him. "How did you pull this off?"

"I told you I had some business to take care of." He pulled out a chair for her and then walked around to the other side.

She looked around, admiring the rows of rose beds and hedges surrounding them. "When you asked me to have dinner with you tonight, I thought we'd be in a restaurant. This is nothing like I imagined."

"You like it?"

"I love it, but you didn't have to do all of this."

"Your appetizer," the waiter said as he set a platter of shrimp on the table. He looked between the pair before bowing for them. "Enjoy."

Immanuel waited until they were alone to speak. "I'm not sure it's clear, but you mean a lot to me." He paused to gauge her reaction, but she had completely turned impassive. "You still blame yourself for what happened to Janet, and the more we talk about Tina, the more you question my intentions. I want to make all of this better for you. So, ask me anything. Tell me everything on your mind."

She hummed and lifted her wine glass to take a sip. "Does it help you to talk about her?"

"Only if it helps you."

"It doesn't," she said, pouring the last of her wine down her throat. "I want one night where I can pretend you're not completely in love with her and I won't be ashamed in the morning for wanting a man who's thinking of someone else."

"You're the only thing on my mind," he confessed. As she gaped at him, trying to gather his expression, he took her hand, caressing the soft flesh. "Come here."

She followed the direction in which he pulled her. When she fell into his lap, she gasped. Their faces were inches apart, but with his arm around her waist, holding her, she felt closer.

"Every time I think we're getting somewhere, she comes up again. Please, tell me what you're thinking."

She couldn't look at him, but he lifted her chin and held her captive in his hand, forcing her to meet his gaze. "I've been you before. It's hard to walk away from these situations. I don't believe you will."

"Maybe you didn't have a reason to walk away."

"And you do?"

He nodded. When she licked her lips, he imagined it to be his tongue, tasting and teasing her. "I did all of this for you, peach. Effort well spent, don't you think?"

She smiled and crashed her lips against his, moving slowly but ravishingly as he gripped her ass in his hands. She breathed him in, desperate for more than the taste of his lips on her tongue, but she forcibly broke away before they could take it any farther. "I'm not sure I can do this."

"That's okay," he told her, making circles on the small of her back. It was comforting to them both. "We can take this slow until you're convinced I only want you."

"I mean I'm not sure I can wait that long." She kissed him again. This time, there was urgency in the way she held him, guiding his mouth to her chest.

He knew what she wanted, but he wouldn't be able to live with himself when she woke up with regret in the morning. So, he slid her off his lap and walked her back to her seat. He had to laugh at the frown on her face. "Aren't you hungry? We should eat."

Winona scowled at him. "I'll only eat because I know you had to call in some favors to make this happen."

"Just one favor," he told her, chuckling. She didn't seem amused by this.

"I don't like the idea of you being in debt to someone because of me."

"It's worth it, peach." He kissed the top of her head and returned to his seat. With her small hand in his, he felt at ease. "I want you to be happy with me."