Chapter 23

Tina's cold hard stare remained unchanged as she sipped from her flute and watched Winona laugh with Queen. The women's arms were linked as they treaded together across the dining room. With Queen's protruding belly, she mostly waddled and Winona was simply an anchor. Nevertheless, Tina didn't like that her best friend had barely spoken to her all night. In fact, this was the first time she'd seen her since she arrived at the house. She was under the impression that the rehearsal dinner would involve the entire wedding party, but it appeared that Queen was picking and choosing which women to give her attention to.

"Drinking during your pregnancy?" Immanuel asked, appearing beside her. He peered down at the glass in her hand and sucked in a sharp breath.

"It's sparkling water, but one drink won't kill it," she murmured. She chugged the remaining liquid in her glass and set it on the dining room table. "Shouldn't you be with your girlfriend right now?"

"I wanted to talk to you."

Tina gaped at him, stunned. "Why?"

"I've been thinking about us a lot," he told her. He folded his hands in front of him and took a step closer. "I want a child. You want me. Maybe we can work something out."

Her eyes instantly lit upon hearing his words. "What do you want from me?"

"I want to play an active role every step of the way, so I scheduled your first ultrasound appointment for tomorrow."

Her lips parted. "Are you even allowed to do that?"

"Yep," he said, grinning. "I'll meet you at the hospital tomorrow morning. Unless you want me to cancel your appointment for whatever reason."

"No," she quickly said, forcing a smile. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He nodded and then swiftly disappeared into the living room where Kyrie and Queen were entertaining the other guests. Winona appeared in the hallway with Denver close behind her. He was saying something into her ear, and Immanuel felt his cheeks grow warm at the sight of his woman in such close proximity to Denver. He charged through the living room and followed the pair out onto the patio.

He wedged himself between Winona and Denver and grabbed her hand, pulling her flush against his chest. The familiarity of his touch didn't surprise her, but the abruptness made her gasp.

"What are you doing, Immanuel?" she demanded to know.

"I need to talk to you," he told her, ignoring Denver's amused stare. "Alone, please."

"Are you okay with that?" Denver asked Winona. When she nodded, he defeatedly sighed then turned to the doors. His reluctance was evident when he glanced back at her to confirm she had meant it.

Once Immanuel had finally gotten her alone, he dragged her down the steps and took her down to the backyard. It was unoccupied, considering the guests who were invited to the rehearsal dinner were all inside mingling. Immanuel didn't mind the privacy. He preferred it.

"What do you want now?" she asked him once he had come to a halt by the shed.

He dragged a hand over his face, breathing in deeply. "Why did you come out here with him?"

She rolled her eyes. She couldn't help it. "That's none of your business."

"It hasn't even been a full day yet and you're trying to move on."

"You sound very jealous."

"I am," he admitted. He groaned when she smirked at him. "I don't know when you're coming back. I don't know if you are, but I never trusted that guy."