Chapter 19

"Tina's on bed rest for the next couple of weeks, so Queen's going to make us work three times harder than we usually would." Savanna peered at the kitchen door, and when she confirmed that Queen wasn't around, she continued. "Maybe we should total a car and get pregnant so we won't have to do anything."

In a world where Savanna's dark humor didn't affect her, Winona would have laughed. But because the wound was still fresh, she frowned instead. Savanna noticed immediately and pressed her lips together.

"Shit, sorry, Nana," she murmured, sucking in a sharp breath.

Winona scowled at her. "Please do not call me that. If I have to hear that stupid nickname again, I'm going to punch someone."

"I like a feisty Nana," Savanna purred at her. It only deepened the scowl on Winona's face. "Relax, babes. It's cute that your mom still has a nickname for you. Mine just calls me the disappointing favorite child."

"Damn it, Kyrie!" Queen shouted from the other room. "You knew I was having the girls over. Why would you bring him?"

"Sweetheart, it honestly slipped my mind." Kyrie's voice was closer to the door now, an indication that they were approaching. "Immanuel and I will stay out of your way. We just want to pass through to get the bottle."

"You better hide," Savanna sang, pulling Winona to the floor with her.

Winona bumped her head on the way down and hissed. With one hand, she rubbed the tender area and slapped Savanna's arm with the other. "Why would you do that?"

"It's a set up concocted by all of them to get you and Immanuel in the same room," she explained to Winona. "The next phase is to get you alone so he can talk to you."

"Immanuel isn't like that," she said in his defense. Grabbing the edge of the island table, she pulled herself up just in time to greet Queen, Kyrie, and Immanuel with a smile.

"I was trying to help." Savanna picked herself up off the floor and waved at them, earning questionable looks. "I support Winona's choice not to talk to you."

Immanuel raised a brow. "I just want the whiskey."

Winona reached into the cupboard to grab the bottle and slid it across the island. No words were exchanged between them, and no one else bothered to speak up, so they were all surrounded by complete silence.

Kyrie decided to break it when he said, "Queen, Vanna, let's go to the other room."

Savanna crossed her arms over her chest and stuck her nose in the air. "What did I tell you? He didn't even bother being subtle."

"Vanna, now," Kyrie demanded as he and Queen shuffled out of the kitchen.

Savanna shot Winona an apologetic look before reluctantly following her brother. Once everyone had exited the kitchen, Winona felt completely defenseless against Immanuel. He cautiously approached. Although he moved carefully and slowly, she still couldn't find the courage to escape.

"I didn't plan this," he told her. His jaw clenched when she backed up into the counter. He didn't like the look of fear in her eyes. "Are you afraid of me?"

She blinked hard, taken aback by his question. "Of course not. I'm just afraid of what I'd do if you come any closer."

"What would you do?" He raised a hand to her cheek and contemplated brushing away the strand of hair in front of her face. When she released a shuddering breath, he dropped his hand and closed the space between them instead, breathing her in.