FIVE

Ellie couldn't remember it being this cold at night when she traveled through Nebraska the first time. Then again, she didn't have to sleep under the stars, either. Austin had only brought two blankets, and she supposed that if they were near a campfire, she would be warmer. Instead, he decided to keep traveling as much as they could until they reached the train station that would take them the rest of the way. Austin assured her that it wasn't very far.

If not for the full moon, she was certain they wouldn't be able to see anything in this prairie land. Thankfully, Austin was the one guiding the horses. She had drifted off to sleep several times already.

"You know," Austin said, breaking the silence between them that had lasted at least an hour. "You can lean against me if you're really cold. I don't mind sharing my body heat."

She prayed he couldn't see the embarrassment crawling up her face. This had been happening too many times already, and she wished she wouldn't react in such a way. But, she did want to get warmer, and leaning against him would help her sleep better.

Ellie tightened the blanket around her shoulders before scooting closer to him. She leaned against his shoulder, and immediately, she felt a difference. He was indeed a warm man. And, for being so robust, it surprised her how comfortable she was against him.

"Thank you," she said softly.

"Now see," he said with humor in his voice. "I don't bite."

Confusion filled her. "Bite? Why would I think you bite?"

"Because you've tried to stay as far away from me as you possibly can." He laughed. "Ellie, I promise, I'm not mean, and you don't have to be afraid of me."

"I'm not afraid of you."

"You sure don't act like it."

Inwardly, she groaned. The reason she didn't want to get too close was because of the attraction she was feeling, which she didn't like. She wasn't about to tell him that, though.

"I'm sorry you felt that way, Austin. I'm just trying to be as proper as I possibly can."

"Proper?" He laughed louder. "Eleanor Lawson, you do realize you're wearing men's clothes, and you are traipsing around through a few states without an escort, right?"

She elbowed him in the side, even though it wasn't very hard. "Yes, I'm aware of that."

"And yet, you still want to play the proper card? Sweetheart, I think you're way past that."

She scowled, even though he couldn't see her. Austin didn't have to point it out to her. She hated feeling stupid. "I just don't want you to think that I'm anything less than a lady."

"I know you're a lady. But you've allowed your determination to put that training aside."

She sighed. "True. Maybe that's why Billy called off our engagement."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." He paused. "Were you very much in love with him?"

Strange that Austin would ask that question. He obviously didn't love the woman he was supposed to marry, but Ellie had fallen in love with Billy. At least when they first met and he started courting her. Ellie's father wanted her to have a long courtship, but after three months, she realized her feelings for Billy were changing.

"I was at first. I don't know what happened, but over time, I felt as though I was falling out of love with him." She shrugged. "And then when my father died, I didn't think about Billy at all. When he called off the engagement, I wasn't heartbroken."

"It's good you realized that." Austin patted her knee but then didn't take his hand away. "I think that you would have regretted marrying him."

"Probably." She swallowed hard, trying not to feel the warmth spreading through her body from his touch. At least she wasn't worried about being cold anymore. Yet, after their talk about her being a lady, why hadn't he removed his hand from her knee? Was it wrong to admit she liked the wild feelings rushing through her at this moment?