𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚

a/n: I know it doesn't fall into the actual timeline of the Harry Potter series but we are going to pretend that this story takes place during the 20th century.

Let's hope this doesn't get taken down. yeehaw

𓆙━━━━━━━━━𓆙

ᵀʰᵉᵒᵈᵒʳᵉ ᴺᵒᵗᵗ

𓆙━━━━━━━━━━𓆙

I don't ever remember Marley enjoying running before we started training for the war. To be honest, I don't even get a kick out of running. But Marley did. So I did.

Especially at night— it would terrify me when she would go on a run alone. Last year with all the scary shit that was going down on castle grounds we never left each other alone.

"Want to walk back?" She was barely out of breath by the time we actually finished running, "We can talk and walk at the same time."

I passed the water bottle back to her before answering, "Yeah, that sounds good. How much did we run?"

"I don't know, possibly four miles round trip." She shrugged her shoulders, "Two here and two back. My posture sucks since I started back up. But I want to add more as I go."

We both were silent for a few moments. Mostly because I was trying to fucking breathe naturally without looking like an out of shape twat in front of her.

"Theo," She halted and glanced back out towards the castle. Her body language switched and I knew what was coming.

"I'm sorry. " She said, "I'm sorry for the way I left things with us. And how I didn't talk to you about what was happening. Also how I have been ignoring talking about it.

"Marley, it's okay." I walked alongside her. I was looking down at the path in front of us, hoping we wouldn't accidentally walk into any roots or rocks. "I understand that you are going through a lot."

She was silent again. Contemplating what she would say. I couldn't tell if she was anxious, but I was. 

"Talk to me, Marley." I reached out for her hands. She let me hold them, her soft skin warming up with my touch, "Please just talk to me."

"I'm still healing, Theo." She replies sadly, "I can't love you if I can't even love myself. That's not fair to you."

"And that's okay, Marley. That's okay with me. I'm still healing, too." I exhaled shakily, letting go of her hands.

She was slipping through my grasp again. Just like that day in the dungeon and every day after that until this exact moment. A soulmate who wasn't meant to be.

"I can love you enough for the both of us, Mar. I think you're beautiful and kind and smart. You shouldn't think so negatively about yourself."

I pushed her hair behind her ear—I didn't care if she was sweaty, "You're worth so much more than what happened to you."

She pulled away, "You need a normal life. A normal girlfriend. I can't give you that, Theo. You are wonderful and thoughtful. You're selfless and considerate."

Bullshit. I adore her so much that I disregarded the fact that I hated myself.

She started stepping further again, "That's where we fault. I'm not. I'm not any of those things. At least not anymore."

I scoffed in disbelief, "You are. God, fuck. You are all that and more, Mars."

The sun was far set by now and the gravel walkway was empty. It was just us. Another reason why we haven't talked was that we never found time to be alone.