Peace In Our Time

Stark knew how to throw parties that you would admit to. When the day came various work associates, friends, and allies of the Avengers came around. There were a lot of war veterans, including one that you knew.

"Wilson!" you shouted.

When Sam saw you, he smiled and grabbed your hand. "(L/N)! I see you're still not dead."

"It takes more than a couple of Hydra soldiers to take me out."

After seeing the two of you from across the room, Steve decided to join in. He greeted Sam with a friendly handshake. "Glad you can make it, Sam."

"I couldn't resist having a good time," Sam tells him.

"You two want to join me in a game." Steve gestured towards the pool table, and you laugh.

"Are you sure you want me to beat you again, Cap?"

"Oooh," Sam laughed. "Are you going to take that Rogers?"

"The only reason you win is that you cheat," Steve accused.

You shake your head, "You have no proof."

You play a game with them, but then excuse yourself to get a drink at the bar. Before you can get back you get caught in a conversation with Maria, Rhodes, Tony, and Thor. Rhodes decided to recount one of his War machine tales.

"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So, I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, 'Boom! You looking for this?'" Rhodes expects a bigger reaction, but Tony and Thor just stare blankly at him. ""Boom! Are you looking-" Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills."

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked confused.

"Yeah, it's a War Machine story."

"Well, it's very good then." Thor laughs. "It's impressive.

"Quality save," Rhodes says sarcastically. He then turns to Tony "So, no Pepper? She's not coming?"

Tony shrugs disappointed. "No."

"Hey, what about Jane?" Hill asks Thor. "Where are the ladies, gentlemen?"

"You shouldn't have asked that," you murmur into your drink. You knew what was going to follow.

"Well, Miss Potts has a company to run," Tony answered her.

"Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane's in," Thor adds. "Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer."

Tony turned to his friend, "And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on earth. It's pretty exciting."

"There's even talk of Jane getting a... um, uh... Nobel prize."

You and Maria exchange a look as the two men try to one-up each other.

"Yeah, they...they must be busy because they'd hate missing you guys get together." Hill pretended to cough, "Testosterone! Oh, excuse me."