Chapter Twenty - Think of Me

Bucky watched August retreat with the Queen-Mother, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Tell me, Barnes," T'Challa summoned a server, carrying a silver tray adorned with drinks. He grabbed two, giving the server a kind smile as she scurried off. "How goes retirement?"

Bucky gladly accepted the clear glass, taking a sip from the beverage. Champagne.

"Is it really retirement?" He mused in his gruff voice. "Or just waiting for the next emergency?"

"There's always something, isn't there?" T'Challa laughed, gesturing for Bucky to walk with him as he turned. "Such a shame that the burden falls on people like us to help."

His eyes flickered around the room, searching for August's mop of black curls. He failed to locate her, trying to mask his disappointment.

"Hopefully," He took another gulp of his drink. "There wont be anymore disasters. Retirement sounds nice."

"Is that not the dream?" T'Challa smiled, giving small waves to people around the room. "To settle down somewhere after the chaos has ended? To find love, to raise a family?"

They settled at a standing table. Bucky finished his glass, accepting a new one off of an incoming server. He looked down at his metal arm.

"Not sure if that's for me anymore," He sighed. "Not since this."

"Why would that be a deterrent?"

Bucky shrugged, leaning forward onto the table.

"Is it fair? To ask a woman to look past every terrible thing I've done?" He shook his head. "How could I ever love someone, knowing that in another life, I may have killed them? How could I ever be what she deserves?"

T'Challa tucked his hands behind his back, squinting. He looked between Bucky and the dance floor.

"It seems to me that you already have someone in mind..."

"What?" Bucky looked up. "Her? No, no way-"

"I didn't say anyones name." T'Challa gave him a bemused smile. "You reached that conclusion on your own."

Bucky accepted a third glass of champagne.

"No way. She's...irritating. Always playing that damned radio, keeping me up. And she's always up on that high horse," He swished his glass. "Moralistic, mightier-than-thou, or whatever."

"And yet..." T'Challa prompted, sensing his companions slow inebriation.

Bucky took a breath.

"I'll admit I've thought about it. I mean, what man on earth could be trapped alone with a beautiful, powerful woman, and not think about it? But she's...she's too, good, man." He tapped his metal fingers against the table. "I'll never deserve her. So I keep her at a safe distance. It's more fair to her, that way."

"Have you ever considered, just, asking her?"

"What do you mean?"

T'Challa laughed, looking at the dance floor.

"You're not thinking of her feelings at all. Why trouble yourself with thoughts of deserving and worthiness? If you could love her, and she could love you, if she chooses to be with you, then what of it?" He gave Bucky a cheshire grin. "You may be from another time, Barnes, but you're in the 21st century now. Women do not need to wait for a man to choose them. If you're having feelings for her, you should tell her. Give her that respect. Let her choose for herself."

T'Challa looked towards the dance floor.

"You might want to make that call sooner rather than later. Looks like you're not the only one pining for her affections."