The Morning After

Maya groaned as she woke up to the obnoxious sound of her phone going off. Maya groaned as she answered "Hello?"

"Good you finally answered, why didn't you respond last night? I called like 100 times" Riley sounded annoyed. Maya sighed as she got up out of bed.

"I was working on my projects with Lucas, I was so tired when he left I fell right back to sleep"

"I guess that's why Lucas didn't respond either....wait what do you mean back to sleep"

Maya regretted saying anything she didn't want Riley to get the wrong idea. Maya sometimes wonders if Riley is sensitive to the fact that Lucas had a crush on Maya, sometimes she gets quite protective of him like this. "oh" Maya chose her words carefully "We just fell asleep after watching a movie, we were so exhausted after doing so much work on history"

Maya could hear the gears turning in Riley's head wondering whether or not she has anything to worry about. Finally, she responded "Yeah I guess that makes sense, anyway I think Lucas is going to walk me to school today so you don't have to bother coming to get me"

Maya was taken aback they always went to school together, sometimes Lucas would go with them but still for Riley not to want her there at all she could not help but feel a bit hurt. "oh alright, sure. I guess ill see you at school then..."

"Don't be late" Riley joked, Maya fake laughing in response.

"I'll try not to" she hangs up the phone and throws it onto the bed. This was the moment Maya decided she was mad, how dare Riley just ditch her just like that. She understands that she wants to spend more time with her boyfriend but they go on dates and stuff without her all the time, why change things now? 

She sat on her bed letting the anxiety take over her thoughts when Shawn called out for Maya "Time to get up or you're going to be late to pick up Riley" Maya quickly got dressed and headed downstairs.

When she got downstairs she saw Shawn making an omelette her mum nowhere in sight, assumingly at work for the early shift. Shawn put his omelette on the plate when Maya swipes it. "Hey that was for me thank you very much, doesn't Cory normally feed you"

Maya stared down at her plate refusing to look at Shawn in the eyes "Well Riley is going to school with Lucas today" Shawn smiled sympathetically and went to get ingredient to make another omelette

"I'm sorry kiddo, I know that sucks but unfortunately, these things happen things change, they can't stay the same forever. If it did life would be boring"

Maya sighed " Yeah I know, I just wasn't expecting that this morning that's all, she didn't even sound sympathetic it's almost like she doesn't care that I wake up 20 minutes earlier than I have to just to walk to her house to go to school together. Its almost like she does not care that I drop plans just to help her with her latest issue. Its almost like she does not care that I try to shelter her from the harsh reality of life. Its almost like she doesn't care that I gave up..." Maya stopped herself before she could finish the last sentence. Its almost like she didn't care that I gave up Lucas for her.

Shawn raised his eyebrow "what did you give up for Riley?"

 Maya let out a frustrated sigh "Nothing you get my point, it's just hard to hear her be so flippant about it that's all" Maya looked at the time and realised she now still had 20 minutes before she had to leave for school. "This omelette is great, I might just go finish it in my room if that's ok?" Shawn nodded and Maya took her plate up the stairs. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maya walked into the school alone, making her feel weirdly venerable, Maya relaxed when she saw Farkle and Zay. "Hey honey nugget" Maya smiles faintly "Where is your other half" Zay laughs"