Jealous

Maya took a deep breath before going thew Rileys window. Maya knew Riley probably was not expecting her to show up but they were still best friends. Plus Maya could not stand having to anticipate this conversation the whole way to school. 

"Maya? I didn't think you were coming today. Especially after you didn't show up to Topangas to do homework like we normally do on a Tuesday. It ended up just being me and Charlie as Farkle and Smakle had a science experiment they had to do"

Maya barely heard any of this "Why did you lie to Lucas" Maya blurted taking Riley by surprise 

Riley sounded offended "I would never lie to Lucas, how dare you"

Maya raised her eyebrow "Really, then why was Lucas asking me why I did not show up yesterday? because if I remember correctly you were the one telling me to go to school myself."

Riley rolled her eyes "I did not lie to Lucas I just didn't tell him there is a difference."

"I don't get it why not just tell him. It's not that big of a deal you just want to spend time with your boyfriend"

"Lucas would never go for that he doesn't want you to feel left out and would insist on you coming" Riley sounded annoyed 

Maya was taken aback she didn't realize that Lucas cared that much. "Well maybe he has a point Riley we are best friends, and you and Lucas spend heaps of time together on dates and stuff without me and I respect that. I guess I just assumed that we could still go to school together even if Lucas tagged along"

"well you were wrong," Riley says matter of factly "Lucas is my boyfriend and I can hang out with him without having to worry about you third-wheeling. Plus now he has to work on those stupid projects with you we have even less time to be a couple"

"Wow" Maya scoffed "I guess the truth comes out, I'm sorry to be such an inconvenience" Maya turned to leave the same way she came running headfirst to Lucas and falling straight into him "ow that hurt"

"Shit sorry Maya you ok" He helped her onto her feet

Maya tried to hold back the tears to avoid questions from Lucas "ye-yeah" she stuttered I just had to ask Riley a question about the next English project, I was a bit confused"

Riley smiles at Maya hiding the meaning from Lucas 'I hope I was clear enough, I'll see you at school Maya"

Maya nodded and tried to take her opportunity to leave before she could Lucas grabbed her arm "why not just wait for us no reason we can't go together right" he looked directly into Maya's eyes.

Maya stuttered and looked towards Riley. Riley Piped up "She has to go to school early to work on her art project, isn't that right Maya"

"Umm yes I'll see you at school"  she quickly went through the bay window before Lucas could question her any further. She ran to the subway in hopes to catch the earlier train.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Maya ended up getting to school 40 minutes early thanks to taking an earlier train. Maya still didn't know how to react to her conversation with Riley, was she really that much of an inconvenience? Maya didn't cry often but she just could not hold the tears in she hid in the back of the library in hopes of avoiding her friends. She thought she was succeeding when not even 10 minutes later she heard a very concerned "Maya" she looked up to see Zay. Zay quickly sat on the floor next to her raping his arms around her "it's ok Maya whatever is bothering you it will be ok" Maya felt a bit calmer now, Zay was like a brother to Maya and has always been there for her particularly after Riley and Lucas got together.