Bonding

"Then treat me as your prisoner!"

When she'd said those words, Ilma had expected her father to give in to her demands, if only to preserve family pride.

Apparently, I am no longer family, she thought glumly as she watched Thorin pace the length of their shared cell. In the hours they'd spent together, he hadn't said a word to her, and any look he gave her quickly turned into a glare.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. "I don't know what I did, but I'm sorry."

He scowled bestially. "How can you not? You know what he did, how he abandoned my people!"

"And in doing so, saved many of mine," she answered smartly.

He turned away from her, grumbling in khuzdul.

She sighed heavily. "Thorin, my people don't breed easily. One child is a blessing, treasured by the whole race. No father would have allowed their child to fight Smaug, nor would their fathers allow them, or their fathers. That Thranduil managed to raise an army at all is impressive. If he had made them fight the result of one dwarf's greed," she shook her head. "He would not be king."

"Do you think that matters?" He asked coldly. "Not fighting is permissible, but not offering aid? Food, shelter? Nothing! He spun around, frowning thunderously. "Inexcusable!"

"My father is a good king," she replied calmly. "Perhaps not a good man, but you'd be surprised how rarely those two coincide."

Their conversation was interrupted by an elven guard knocking on the cell door.

"Prince Legolas wishes to speak with you privately, your Highness," he said stiffly.

Ilma glanced at Thorin before answering. "Tell prince Legolas he can come get me himself."

The guard shifted his weight nervously before leaving to deliver her message. It had been a favorite pass time of theirs once, using the guards to pass silly, meaningless messages to each other. She wondered if Legolas remembered.

"What did he want?" Thorin asked curtly, and Ilma turned to him in surprise.

"My brother wishes to speak with me," she replied, smiling. "Why?"

Thorin scowled. "Must you use the elf tongue for something so frivolous?"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "I am an elf, Thorin, no matter how badly you wish otherwise. I will use the tongue of my people whenever I wish. That I have not before coming here has been partially inability and partially respect for you. Continue as you are, however, and I will be forced to reconsider my stance on your imprisonment."

His blue eyes were wide as he regarded her, and Ilma feared for a moment that she had irreparably burned a bridge. Then he sighed.

"You are correct," he said tiredly. "And I apologize. You are not your father."

She snorted. "A fact I thank the Valar for everyday. Have you seen his eyebrows?" She shuddered. "They could be caterpillars and no one would question it because he's king."

Thorin's brow furrowed, and Ilma sighed. Her humor was lost on dwarves.