Secrets

"I sure hope Ms. Marineta will be okay." Glimmer said that Friday evening while everyone had gathered at Gisela's house for their study group.

"Glimmer, she has almost a million dollars. Our teacher will be fine." Brant reminded her, right before going back to his Calculus.

Gisela and Fintan were already done but they didn't want to seem like show-offs. Well, Gisela at least.

As soon as Fintan was done, he threw done his pencil with exaggerated relief, then flopped back on the floor.

Gisela gave him a look of disgust, but she had finished at least four minutes before he did, so she let it slide.

Everyone else gave him the Really? look, to which he just shrugged and continued to stare at the ceiling.

Glimmer copied his pencil-throw-down a few minutes later, but it wasn't because she was done. "This is so hard!"

"Tell that to the Honors Calculus I just finished." Fintan said without even opening his eyes.

"Before you." He added, so smugly that it made Glimmer want to lunge across the room and throttle him.

"We get it, Fintan, you're the smartest out of all of us." Ruy sighed, going back to his Math.

"Actually, he's not." Gisela declared.

"And you are?" Alvar asked.

"Yep. I was done before everyone, including Fintan, and if you look at his paper, you'll find a mistake. I also happen to be doing Honors Calculus." She pointed out.

"Oh, get schooled, Fintan." Ruy breathed, sneering as he almost dropped his pencil.

"Enough with the god-awful puns, Ruy." Fintan returned, rolling his eyes as he finally sat up.

"At least they're better than your ego." The boy grinned, then finished his homework with a flourish.

"Excuse me?" Fintan whipped his head in Ruy's direction.

Glimmer coughed through a giggle, sounding like she was choking on air.

That caused Umber to crack up, then one by one everyone either smiled or chuckled.

Fintan stood up. "I've had enough of this." He huffed, then flounced out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

Ruy stood up and imitated him, then purposely ran face-first into the door. 

This time, everyone laughed, and Gisela cracked a smile.

"Who wants some cinnacreme?" The female offered, standing up to go get some from her kitchen.

"That would be awesome, Gisela, thanks!" Glimmer smiled.

"We're down for some." Gethen added, speaking for everyone.

Trix continued slouching in the corner, giving his homework a death glare, trying to burn it with the sheer force of his will so he wouldn't have to do it.

Gisela left, and returned shortly with a tray of beverages.

Trix was still trying to make his homework erupt in flames, glaring at it with vindication appropriate to what one would wear when staring at their worst enemy.

Gisela noticed, and set the tray down, walking over to Trix's little Corner of Hatred.

"Need help?"

"Nah, I've got this." Trix let his confidence answer him while his doubt screamed, Yes, please, help me this this dang paper burning!

"All right, if you're sure." She said, still dubious.