Chapter 2. New Year's Resolutions

"Keys, lip gloss, mascara, tic tac, breath spray, gum, Panadol, emergency period pack, wipes, hand sanitizer, emergency hair supplies, taser, pepper spray, bandaid, granola bar, poison detector, cash, club passes, severe OCD. Check, check, check," I said, ticking off my invisible list of necessities.

"You're so unbelievably extra it hurts. Who needs all that stuff to go a nightclub? Furthermore, is all of this even going to fit in that tiny purse?" One of my other best friends, Becky, face palmed through the mirror where she sat in front of my vanity applying some finishing touches to her flawless make-up.

"Hush now, young child. One day you'll all be grateful that I've always got a mini store in my purse. You never know what could happen, ma'am," I told her, pointing my curling wand in her direction.

Hana's laugh came from the other side of the bathroom door. "Alright, mother Maria, we hear you girl. Don't forget to carry our diaper bags and bottles."  

"Fuck you both," I laughed, knowing they were only teasing. Anyone who knew me well enough, knew that I always liked being prepared for any situation, and quite frankly, my over-packing has come handy in way too many situations. 

It was currently ten thirty. I'd woken up from a much needed nap about forty five minutes before. I had time to stuff my face with the salmon and mushroom florentine that my Nan had stopped by to prepare - which was absolutely delectable - and take a shower while I awaited the other two.

Hana, Becky and I had decided to get ready together and meet up with Andrew, David, Samantha and Troy at the club. This was the first time in a while that all of us got together to do something non-work related and I was beyond thrilled at the idea of letting loose and having with my dearest friends. 

Everyone was always so busy getting their shit together, that we rarely saw each other but maintained communication through group text and met up for the occasional breakfast or dinner date.

I'd thought about staying home that evening. I could've just laid in my huge, comfortable bed and watch the fireworks from my balcony. I would pig out on some junk food, re-watch the same series on Netflix for the tenth time and then call it a night. Honestly, what more would I need? 

In the end, after much contemplation, I decided not to. I had already spent the last two years on autopilot and while I didn't think that time would wait for me to catch up, it was honestly shocking to see how much the world had changed around me. 

Things needed to change; I wanted more for myself. No, I needed more, and I knew in my heart that if Carson were around, he'd make some blunt but true remark about me being pathetic.

With that thought, I picked out a gorgeous shimmery gold dress that stopped mid thigh with only one long sleeve and soft material that hugged my figure fabulously. I paired that with pointy nude heels and went for simple make up, only adding some smoky eyeshadow to make my eyes pop and a red lip. My hair was flatironed and down in waves.

Simple jewelry complimented the look; a thin necklace, a bracelet on each arm and some hoop earrings. 

I felt like my old self. Confident and ready to take on the world. And I knew I looked the part too. 'If you look good, you feel good,'my mom always said.

"You look fabulous, girl!" I said to my reflection after stepping in front of my full length mirror, giving a little twirl in the process. 

"You guys ready?" Hana asked after slipping on her heels.