Chapter 8. Closed Mouths Don't Get Fed, Darling

My Friday evening was extremely uneventful. I didn't feel up to getting drunk or socialising despite my wanting to get out more. Instead I decided to go to my mother and Nana's house where I always found solace.

I had decided that a weekend in was just the thing I needed. We were sitting around the bar sipping on virgin margaritas and eating pulled salmon burgers, when I decided to tell them about the offer that was brought up to me.

My grandmother over in France was on a video call with us, eating her own burger but sipping on actual wine. Don, my grandfather was going out with a few of his friends and she wanted to stay at home. "I love him but I can't stand seeing him everyday," she said as she playfully shooed him out the door making us all laugh.

"So, guys, or gals, I was offered a promotion today to become the executive chef at Delilah's," I said casually as I popped a few wheat chips into my mouth, awaiting their reactions.

Nana paused with her burger mid air. "Well, are you going to take it?"

"Of course she's not going to, mama. We all know when Suray's mind is set on something, nothing and no-one can sway her decision," my mom said as she continued eating her meal, not phased in the slightest bit by what I had said. She did make a good point though.

"Oh, I'm aware," Nana replied knowingly, "I just wanted to get her point of view on it."

"How much money did they offer you?" Granny C chimed in on her end.

We all laughed at her tone. She was dead serious. That woman was all about her money, all the time. When the company she had worked for began laying people off some years ago, with no proper excuse, she realized that she had been living in 'the comfort zone' for far too long and wanted to take her skills elsewhere. 'I'm still young' she'd always say.

With that being said, she sent in her resignation letter, got her money, then packed her stuff and went to France with my grandfather, where they bought a fixer upper and turned that into what became a very popular winery.

"A thirty percent increase. Travel and vehicular allowance included," I told her as I shoved some coleslaw in my mouth and chewed. "It's amazing that they recognize my hard work, but you guys know I've never wanted to be tied to a job for countless years of my life. It's for who it's for, but it's not for me. I don't think any amount of money would make me stay. I'm far too qualified and talented for that," I shrugged as I took a sip of my drink.

"That's my girl. You make up your mind and you stick to it. These employers, most of them anyway, don't give a rat's ass about their employees. You slave for hours, years, sacrifice your dreams and even family, and yet if you fall sick and die they replace you before you're even buried like you never existed. But like they say 'business is business' I guess."

"True," all of us said in unplanned unison. It was safe to say that everyone in my family was a go getter. They'd all become business owners or held big positions, and put things in place so that the next generations would live comfortably.

For example: my mom had her own events planning company, Nana had a huge farm back in St Lucia where she imported ground provisions, fruits and foods that weren't common in the state but were of a high demand. She had her own vessel as well, which meant that her products were exported to different countries. And then there was Granny C and my granddad, Don, who owned a winery -their products were sold worldwide.

"Well you're going to have to explain to them that you can't accept the offer. You don't need to tell them about your business but make sure that you're very firm and forward in your decision," my mom said.