🎇Summer Romance|| Shyoa x Chubby! Reader🎇

Angst
*Not Requested*
~~~~

Do you know what a Summer Romance is? It's a type of romance that comes once and then it's gone, forever. I've found myself experiencing this very concept with him.

Shoya Ishida.

He stole my attention and then my heart. I introduced myself during the first day of school. Shoya was quiet at first but then, over time, let me in. He told me all about his regrettable childhood and his attempts to right his wrongs. I supported him through it all. His pain was my pain. What was once a simplistic friendship was now an unrequited love.

Yet, it wouldn't do any good to tell him this. I'm a foreign exchange student whose going back home this summer. I knew from the very first longing gaze I sent his way that it wasn't possible. That it wasn't possible for him to love me the way I loved him... for him to look at me like he looked at Shoko. She was everything I wasn't, everything I was insecure about.

Still, I couldn't bring myself to hate her. How could I? She was always so friendly and accepting. I like to think in another world that it would be me and not her.

"Y/N?"

I looked up at the person speaking to me. It was Shoya, looking at me with the same expression he usually wore. It was blank, but his eyes held so much sorrow and confusion. Much like mine. Taking a deep breath, I blinked back the moisture that was building up in my eyes. I hid behind the smile that was plastered across my face.

"Oh. Hey, Shoya."

He sent back a smile of his own and assisted me with gathering my belongings that were scattered across my desk.

"The bell ringed a few minutes ago."

I looked up at the clock above the teacher's desk and confirmed what Shoya said. Silence surrounded us as I collected the last few items on my desk. I licked my chapped lips and decided to ask Shoya if he wanted to go to the park.

"Hey, do you wa-"

My words caught in my throat as heard him receive a message. I side-eyed him as he opened up his phone. He began smiling, a light blush spreading across his cheeks as he read the message. Seeming to feel my eyes, he looked over at me.

"I'm sorry, but what were you saying?"

I shook my head and let a small smile grace my features. I swung my bag over my shoulder and made my way towards the classroom door. I faced the exit as I spoke, worried that if I looked at him my tears would resurface.

"It was nothing... I was just thinking out loud."

Shoya seemed to accept my half-truth and continued to text. Every alert his phone made stabbed me in the heart. All his attention was sent towards his phone rather than me, who stood right in front of him. I clenched my chubby hands and made my way back home.

~~~

It was my last week in Japan. Shoko and Shoya decided to take me to a popular amusement park. Essentially, I was third-wheeling at my own going away party. I stopped momentarily to tie my shoes. Once I was done, I looked up expecting to see them. However, all I was met with was strangers with their loved ones. I contemplated leaving but decided to enjoy my experience here, even if that meant being alone.

I walked around the park, occasionally getting on rides. For the first time in a long time, I was beginning to enjoy myself. Almost overlooking the heartache I endured daily. That was until I saw them. Shoko held onto Shoya's hand and looked into his eyes.

"I... love you!"

Shoko's exclamation pained my heart. Yet, at the same time, it created a sort of bittersweet feeling. It was clear as day that they loved each other. I was happy for them... but then again... why couldn't it be me? Why couldn't I make him happy? Why couldn't I be the one he blushed at? Just why?

"I love you too, Shoko."

With that, I finally broke. The tears that I held back for so long ran down my cheeks at long last. Sobs escaped my ever so tightening throat, taking away my ability to breathe properly. I fell onto my knees and clenched my fingers on the concrete. I felt a hand on my head and looked up reluctantly. Shoya stood before me in shock. I tried to my smile multiple times but my lips kept tugging down.

"W-what's wrong? Y/N it's ok... you can tell me anything."

I shook my head and look towards the ground.

"... And what good w-would that do? Huh? T-tell me... what.. good would that do?"

With that, I shakingly got up. I looked at both of them with a pained expression. They stayed silent and waited for me to say something, but I never did. Instead I turned on my heel and ran. Ran away from them, my problems, my... love.

~~~

I didn't say anything to them since that incident and I would probably never have the chance to. I stood in front of the plane and stared at my phone. It lit up my face as I looked at the message I sent Shoya over two hours ago.

I love you.
Seen

With that my summer romance ended.

~~~~
Y'all I-
That's it, that's all I have to say. - Fandom