Chapter 10: The Plan in Action

Ryder: Thanks for coming ...

Chase steps in front of Ryder

Chase: Everest is missing! We have to find her as soon as possible! .... I hope she is fine .... Skye!

Ryder: Chase ...

Chase: Oh sorry ...

Chase go at his place

Ryder: Skye, Chase, come with me. Others, get ready if I need you.

A few minutes later, Ryder arrives at Jake Mountain.

Ryder: Chase, you know what to do.

Chase sniffs the scent of Everest but he doesn't smell anything because of the snow that has just fallen, the footprints have also been erased.
After several and long minutes later, Everest is still missing.

Skye: Ryder, we can't find her.

Ryder: But we can't give up.

Chase: Where did you go, Everest? I hope you are fine ..... Wait ... The mountain paradise ....

Chase takes his Police vehicle, and heads to the favorite place of Everest.

Ryder: Chase! Where are you going?

Arrived there, Chase discovers Everest footprints.

Ryder: Chase ... what is this place?

Chase: I don't have time to explain. We must find Everest!

Everest POV

Mayor Humdinger: You bring Chase here.

Me: Your request will be done, sir.

I'm leaving Humdinger's lair. I walk for a long time to get to the Lookout where I have to take Chase.
A few minutes later, I see the German Shepherd, sitting down, and sad, I call him. And he runs towards me.

Chase: Everest !! Where were you!?

Me: Don't tell anyone. Now take off your puptag, and follow me. I have to show you something.

Chase: What? Everest? Why?

Me: If you care about me, do what I told you.

I suddenly have a headache. I scream in pain. I think about what I'm doing.

Me: No! Chase! Don't listen to me !!

Chase: Everest?

Me: Listen to me!

Chase removes his puptag, throws it away. And he follows me.

Chase: Where are we going?

Me: You'll see.

Along the way, over and over, I want to tell Chase how I feel about him, and what I'm doing, but I can't. Mayor Humdinger's orders are stored all over in my body.
After a long walk, we arrive at Foggy Bottom.

Chase: Why Mayor Humdinger?

I now have two choices. Carry out Mayor Humdinger's orders, or do something to make Chase understand that I have been manipulated.
I come to my senses for just a few seconds, and throw myself at Chase, and I kiss him.
Chase doesn't do anything for a few seconds, but then he push me away slowly.

Me: Don't listen to me !!! I was... manipulated ..... !!

Then, I found again the spirits of Mayor Humdinger.

Me: I mean ... Follow me inside.

Chase POV
What's wrong with Everest? She kissed me, then told me not to listen to her, and then to listen to her? Does she want to send me a message?
I'm thinking.
Why are we kissing someone? To tell this person that we love him. Everest wants to send me the message that she loves me as a friend, and that I must not listen to her. And then, she changed her behavior, saying to listen to her.
I think I will not follow Everest. It is more careful.
I need to call Ryder. Oh no! My puptag! I removed it!

Mayor Humdinger? Everest? Don't listen to her?
I think Mayor Humdinger did something to Everest.
I run away from Foggy Bottom to warn Ryder.
After 1 hour, I arrive at the Lookout.
I explain everything to Ryder.

Everest POV
I start to see a white light, I'm waking up, and find myself on a big bed, with a blanket over me. I see my owner Jake who sees me and gives me a hug.

Me: What .... what happened?

Jake: I'll let Ryder explain it.

Ryder: Mayor Humdinger injected you with an illegal drug, and you obeyed everything he told you. When you brought Chase, your love was stronger than the injection.

Me: My love? My love for who?

Ryder smiling: You know very well what I'm talking about.

Me: Uh .... No?

Ryder: Then Chase explained everything to me. We came to Foggy Bottom and we saw Mayor Humdinger still putting injections on your skin because his plan had failed. Luckily, we bring you at the hospital ... I mean Chase bring you. We were all worried about you. Mayor Humdinger admitted his crime, and he is in jail.

Me: Can I talk to Cha ...

Ryder: Chase?

Me: No! Skye, or Rocky, or Zuma, or ...

Ryder: They're all in the waiting room. I call them.

I first see the Dalmatian who asks me if I'm okay. I tell him I'm fine. After a conversation with the pups, I ask where Chase is.

Ryder: Chase is coming. Hey pups? Come on, we'll let Everest rest, wanna play?

Marshall: I stay with Everest.

Marshall tells me I'm the pup he cares the most.
The door opens, and I see my hero ... I mean Chase coming.

Me: Chase!

Chase: Oh hi Everest ...

Me: Um ... Marshall? Can you leave for a few minutes? I have to say something private to Chase.

Marshall looks sad, and leaves.

Me: Chase ... I'm sorry ... for the kiss ...

Chase: I didn't tell Ryder about the kiss. Can I ask you why you did this to me?

Me: I didn't know what to do. I was being manipulated, and I was also following my heart .... I mean! I also followed my love for friends.

Chase: Anyway, I'm glad you're okay.

I look at him.
He looks at me.
I smile at him.
He smiles at me.