Chapter 8

School passed by pretty quickly this week. I made some good friends, and Janet was always there when I was lost.

Me & Jamal talked all week. He was so sweet, funny, loving- and cute.

Anyways, it was finally Friday. That evening when me & Janet got off the bus, I ran home fast as I could, that way I could have much time as possible to get ready for tonight.

Me & Janet both enter our room. I go pick out my clothes for the night and go in the bathroom to rearrange my hair. I wore my braids in a ponytail today, and tonight I planned on wearing them all flowing down my back. We also were going to meet at the mall, so I wanted to look as nice as possible.

"So, you got a date with Jamal tonight?" Janet exaggerates.
"No, we're just hanging out," I answer.
"Mhm, y'all sure are," She says sarcastically.
I frown. "Um, I'm serious,"
"Right now me & Jamal have a friendship, and that could lead somewhere. But if not, it won't hurt me. I've dealt with hurt my whole life."

Janet looks at me. "Simone, Simone.." She starts. "Jamal isn't like that. I already spoke to him about you and I promise he won't hurt you, relationship or not."

I nod my head, saying ok. "Thanks, Janet.. for looking out for me."
"We're blood, so you know I always will."
I smile and proceed on with my look for the night.. a night to remember.

••••

• Jamal's POV •
I decided me & Simone would go to the mall. That's the most public place I know with many options to choose from- the movie theater, stores, and restaurants.. and I knew girls loved stuff like that.

Anyways I was waiting on Simone when these group of girls passed me, staring and smiling. I look straight ahead, and see Simone entering the mall, looking around. I never smile back at girls cause they would think I was interested, when I wasn't.

I was interested in Simone.
She was still looking around, so I got up and jogged over to her.

"Aye Simone." I say.
She flashes her cute smile and says, "Hey,"

"So, what you wanna do?" I ask.
"Let's go eat. I'm kinda hungry." She answers.
I'm not gone lie, my stomach was rumbling too and was in the mood for a Subway sandwich.

"Ight. What you want?"
"Chick-Fil-A." She answers, sounding positive about her pick for food.

I whip out my wallet, but Simone stops me.
"I brought my own money," She says.
"So. I want to spend mine for your food," I reply.
"No, seriously I think I should-"
I stop her in mid-sentence and grab her hand.

"I'll pay for your food." I say, having the last word.
She looks like she's about to faint from me touching her hand. She just nods & follows me to Chick-Fil-A.

We order her food & my food. I find a table next to the trash can, because I hated when you had to walk across the court to throw your food away.

I'm still eating when she finishes. She must have been real hungry, cause she's looking for spare fries at the bottom of the bag.

"So, um.." She starts.
I look up. "Yeah?"
"I really don't want to do anything but walk around the mall and talk." She replies.
I nod. "Ight, we can do that."

Simone was one girl in my lifetime that was appreciative. Didn't care about the material things at all times, but sometimes the time we spend with each other. All these other females would have been complainin' about going to Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters.

I finish my sub, throw our food away, and we start walking. "So, Simone you look cute," I say, staring at her outfit, but her face mostly. She was so cute, bruh.

"Thanks." She replies.
"So tell me about you.. what your hobbies are, stuff like that." I say, trying to spark up a conversation.
"Well, some of my hobbies are drawing, reading, and fashion," She answers.
"What about you?"

"I like to read. sometimes, dependin' on the book. I like to rap, even though I don't want to be a rapper." I answer.
She laughs. "Bookworm," She says, jokingly.
"You more of a bookworm than me," I say, laughing too.

The laughing goes down, so I try to create some more.
"Um.. you got siblings?" I ask.
"Yes, 1. Sophia and she's 11." She replies.
"I have one sister, too. She's 12 though.. her name is Jamaya." I say.

Me & Simone had a few similarities in hobbies & families. But what about her home life? Why did she & her sis have to come live with Janet & her ma?

"So.." I start. I'm tryna figure out how to word this without hurting her feelin's.
"Why am I living with my cousin?" She says, taking the words out of my mouth. I nod my head yes.

"Sit here, on this bench," She orders me.
"I've been wanting to tell you this, before we even move on into our friendship.. or relationship."
I smile, trying to hide it. Simone must have been thinking of us in a relationship.. like I kinda had.

"My mom is on drugs real bad. My dad died, so he's obviously not around.. she beats and cusses me and my sister out every day. And if it's not every day, it's every other day," She starts.

"I actually have another sibling, my brother, Shawn. But I don't consider him blood because of how he treats me & Sophia. Last week, Friday, she beat Sophia cause she was hungry. And when I confronted her & told the dope fein off, she back slapped me."
Simone continues.
"I was tired of the abuse. I didn't want Sophia growing up not trusting anyone like I am now, at 15 years old. So, my Auntie Keisha, Janet's mom, took us in."

I listen, taking this all in. I wanted to smash Simone's ma head in. And her brother. My ma over here doing all she can for me & my sis, while Simone & her sis getting treated like a piece of nothing.. for no reason at all.

I hold her hand. No girl I have ever met has been like this. Broken hearted, but still grateful. I had to keep Simone around, no matter what happened. She was the girl for Jamal Warren.

"Look, Simone. If you need anything, you got my number. I know you might not want anything, but if you need someone to talk to, call me. I'll be there within the first ring. Promise." I say, genuinely.
She smiles. "Thanks, Jamal."

We hold hands while walking towards the exit.

Simone Penney, when will you be mine....