Chapter 15

Sunday through part of Thursday evening was the same. Me and Jamal talked every day at school, and I was 100 percent sure he was going to pop the question soon.

Everything was fine until me & Janet got home from school Thursday evening. Auntie Keisha and Sophia were sitting at the dining room table, and the expressions on their faces screamed 'worry.'

I put my bookbag on the floor, and Janet does the same. "What's wrong?" I ask.
Auntie Keisha says nothing, and just throws an envelope to my side of the table.

I look at the envelope to see who it's from:
The Family Court of Brooklyn, NY

My eyes get wide.
"Read the letter inside, Simone!" Janet exclaims.

I do as she says. I take the letter out the envelope and begin reading it.
The letter is the family court telling us our date to go.. and how Imani Peterson, along with witness Shawn Peterson is the plantiff.
Also known as my mom & brother.

The letter also says that Keisha Townes is the defendant in court, and witnesses are allowed.

I look at Auntie Keisha. She's staring down at the table.
And Sophia is sitting there, still having a worried expression.

"And the officials came to the door with this subpoena," Auntie Keisha says.
"What's a subpoena?" I ask. I didn't know nothing about this government junk.

"A written order sayin' you have to come to court," She answers.
She passes it across the table to me & Janet's side.

I read some of it, and it's all about the rights and how if Auntie Keisha doesn't go to court she could be thrown in jail.

"Look, we can't be worried and struck by this. We need to get all of our evidence together to get full legal custody of Simone and Sophia," Janet says.
"You're right.. I can't go back there with mom & Shawn," Sophia says.

I nod my head, agreeing with both statements.
Auntie Keisha finally speaks up. "Yeah, y'all right. We need to gather all the evidence we need.." She stops, and grabs the letter from my side of the table.

She continues. "We got exactly two weeks to gather all the evidence we need. And y'all will be out for break, so no stress from school will be on anyone."

Everyone's head nods.
"I have a witness," I say.
"Who?" Auntie Keisha asks.
"Jamal. I showed him the bruises and cuts on my arms and back.. so he take the stand and say how he saw them." I answer.

Auntie Keisha nods. "Yeah, that'll work. And you may need to show the judge you bruises in his chambers as well,"
"You too Sophia."

Sophia nods. I know she may feel uncomfortable about this, but she also knows how we badly need to get out of mom and Shawn's hands, before we end up 6 feet under.

"Ok, girls, go back upstairs. I'll be in the kitchen cookin' dinner." Auntie Keisha tells us.
"Ok." Me, Janet, and Sophia say in unison.

I wasn't going to worry about this situation. We would pull through, like we always have....